Door rod or clip?

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to help my uncle put the doors on his 68 Dart. Currently trying to install and make operational the outside door handles. Not sure but there seems to be some pieces missing. The door panel is off. I can see a rod inside the door running from the inside handle to the back of the door in what seems to be the same place that the lock knob rod goes down into. These other pieces are loose and came with the car. Door handles, locks, and these rods. Is this all I should need or are there other rods or those plastic clips required? Thanks.

image.jpeg

Looks like you are missing the handle to latch rods to me.
The rods in your picture are the lock rods only, and only unlock the latch on the door.

Then there are also rods that run from the latch forward for the inside release handles, and door lock knobs.

ALL use clips of metal or plastic, but just an FYI I drilled and cotter pinned mine to get away from the plastic retainers.

Heres pics of a 67 notch door I have. The pics are from the drivers door and from outside. I cut a big section of the door skin out.
Complete linkage clips avail if need be

20160808_111055.jpg

20160808_111101.jpg

20160808_111114.jpg

You will need clips for the door handles. After you connect the clips you can put the little rods, similar to what you have pictured on the end of the locks, on and they will hang down inside the door to the location where you will need another clip. On mine (74) there is a plastic clip at the top of the handle and one at the bottom of the little rod. For the locks there is just a clip at the bottom where it hangs down. You can pretty much see where they go at the bottom based on where those rods hang down.

Looks like you are missing the handle to latch rods to me.
The rods in your picture are the lock rods only, and only unlock the latch on the door.

Then there are also rods that run from the latch forward for the inside release handles, and door lock knobs.

ALL use clips of metal or plastic, but just an FYI I drilled and cotter pinned mine to get away from the plastic retainers.
Thanks. That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure if the handle took its own rod or not. Looks like I may need some clips as well.

Sorry bout shitty pics. I can take more if need be.
The pics were great! So I definitely have the latch forward rods and the rods going up for the door lock knob. Looks like I just need the rods from the outside handles to the latch, and then the clips or whatever attaches the two. I have seen some new clips online. I will post a wanted ad for the rods. Thanks all for the replies.

Well, I'm a dummy - but I'm a happy dummy. After looking at these pictures some more I went back to the door and checked and the rod I needed had just swung back in the door. I felt around a bit and there it was. Checked the other door and that one was fine as well. One of the handles was missing the clip that holds it onto the rod but for now it still opens the door. Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it figured out. Doors/Windows can be a pain in the arse!
Well, I'm a dummy - but I'm a happy dummy. After looking at these pictures some more I went back to the door and checked and the rod I needed had just swung back in the door. I felt around a bit and there it was. Checked the other door and that one was fine as well. One of the handles was missing the clip that holds it onto the rod but for now it still opens the door. Thanks for the help!

They sure can! Just this little job taught me that. Tough to get everything together in there. Glad there wasn't much to it (this time.) Thanks!

-
Back