Drag racer Tom Hoover, RIP at 81

-
Well dangit. He was perhaps the greatest Mopar innovator ever. May he rest in peace.

Really saddened to hear that. What a tremendous Mopar guru. Saw Tom at Carlisle quite a few years ago. The guy was a genius, and very down to earth. RIP Tom Hoover.

Always a highlight at those Nitro Match Races we attended when we were younguns in SoCal :thumbsup:
Rest in Peace Driver. May the Fours be with you

genuflectII.jpg

He was drag racing in Minnesota. I went to school with his sons. Trent and Troy. And did my share of handing tools to him. This was back in early 70s as a kid. Haven't seen him and his family in decades. (Except for grand stands) He would do test and tune runs during many of our 80s running junk events. (Compared to his level) Showtime would certainly wake crowd up.

I wish I had 1/2 his racing passion. Warren Johnson was the Pro Stocker in these parts. And was a bit stand offish. Not Hoover. Especially with regards to Mopar Hemi and fuel cars. He lived the dream. And will be missed.

I know, but half the guys are confusing the two...
Lol. I remember Tom (Drag Racer) was talking with some of the neighborhood guys and one called him "Father of the Hemi." He smiled and said. Nope. That's the Chrysler genius. I'm just a poor drag racer.

I repaired the Mustang body of his FC a couple of times in 80 or 81 when I worked for H.O.K. in Minneapolis, he just seamed like a bucks down racer with a posse. I didn't learn until much later about his contribution to the Hemi.

Even Wikipedia and some history writers are getting the two confused. Lol. Top fuel racer Tom Hoover was not old enough to win 1st 1960 altered gasser NHRA title. Funny.

Tom - Chrysler engineer - Hoover passed in April 2015.
Tom - AHRA funny car driver- Hoover passed yesterday, 10/25/22

Two different people. May they both rest in peace.

Aw, man.

Icon in the Mopar community.

Good run, though.

RIP.

-
Back