Drag Rear Tyre Advice

-

Pana.Mopar

Duster Down Under
Reaction score
I want to purchase a set of drag slicks for the Duster to go racing next month and just need some advice. On the rears I have 15" x 8" rims and rear diff ratio is 4.10's.

Question 1: What size tyre should I run? 27", 28" or 29"

Question 2: Should I run ET Drag Radial or Full Slick?

Question 3: If I run a full slick on rear do I have to run different front tyres?

Thanks for your assistance guys?

Run a 28'' with the 4.10
Drag radials are pretty good tires these days. If your going to run on the street the drag radial is the way to go. really its your preference for a slick or radial. tracks usually require a driveshaft loop with slicks, and keep in mind the correct wheel studs. The front tire is up to you with either tire.

Pana, I'm running 28" with 3.91 and crossing the line at 5600rpm, what was your tyre size last time and the rpm?

You may have trouble mixing radial with ply at scrutineering as they don't like to mix the two.

Cheers
Karl

I ran a 27" tyre last year and I was going thru the traps at 5,700 and was out of puff! I really do think I need a 28" tyre on it to get the full benefit.

I wont be using these on the street so I'm not overly fussed on that.

If you won't use them on the street then put a full slick on it. I run a slick on the rear and radials on the front at the track with no issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you won't use them on the street then put a full slick on it. I run a slick on the rear and radials on the front at the track with no issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, I can get a cheap set of Mickey Thompson 28.0 x 9-15 ET Drag Slick's - MTBL3054 and I've got radials 185/85/15's on the front and have heard that you should never run a a slick with a radial on front as it's not safe...

Yeah, I can get a cheap set of Mickey Thompson 28.0 x 9-15 ET Drag Slick's - MTBL3054 and I've got radials 185/85/15's on the front and have heard that you should never run a a slick with a radial on front as it's not safe...

Been drag racing with radials on the front and slicks on the rear for many...many years...

I've run bias ply slicks with small radial fronts several times without a issue. The mph range was 105 or less, so that may have helped? Plus I had 45+ lbs in them for track use, so I don't know if they even realized they were radials...:D

I would match them if possible, but for a few times out here and there, I doubt it will be a issue.

With that said, while I believe it's more of a "street" issue, your safety is of utmost importance, so if anyone has had a handling or braking issue at the track, I hope they post here...

As far as the "cheap" Mickey's, I supposed you're looking at a used set? Just make sure they have enough life in them to warrant what you're going to pay.

Just my opinion/experience but I really like the mickey thompson et street radials,either a 255 60 15 or a 275 60 15 should work good-they were the only drag radial that did work for me,very stable at the big end too.

29" or larger have clearance issues on my 75 Duster. I have 29.5 X 10.5s on it now and I had to modify the wheel opening to prevent rubbing at speed as they grow. I would like to go to taller gears and shorter tires.

I've just ordered a set of M/T ET Drag Radials in 275/60/15 (28") These should do the trick and I'll actually leave them on the car as I actually don't drive it that much anyways.

i run 28x9x15 hoosier slicks with 4.10 gears, and 155x80x15 street tyres up front with 45psi, all with no issues at all.
i would prefer to run a 26x3.5x15 up front, but not easy to locate in the UK so what i have is whats easiest

-
Back