dried tape on chrome

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
How do you remove tape that has dried?
thanks

I have been there before and it is a Beyatch!! Tape off a small area on the two side of the chrome with two or three layers of masking tape.
Then get a slow reduser "paint thinner from a paint store and tell them what you are doing, or a mineral spirits and the area that is taped off use a good new wash cloth and wipe on and wipe off, Be care full if the paint is fresh and remove the two layers of tape as soon as you get that area clean.
It has been a long time for me to do this so you may want to see what the updated painters have to say about this.
Is this a fresh pant job ? and what kind of paint ? They will want to know this.

Try mineral spirits as mentioned above. Won't hurt the paint and will dissolve the glue.

Rubbing alcohol on a paper towel works too, but it takes a bit of scrubbing. Won't harm your paint though.

Autobody wax and grease remover works if you are not in a big rush. It will not damage any finish for sure as it is a prep for painting.Walmart sells this product.

If the tape is still stuck to the chrome use a heat gun to loosen the glue. If its just glue left over any of the above will work.

i like nonclorineated brake parts cleaner and a good shop rag. but it will hurt the paint so spray it on the rag then go to town

If the tape is still stuck to the chrome use a heat gun to loosen the glue. If its just glue left over any of the above will work.
Everything mentioned above except Acetone. That stuff will melt paint in the blink of an eye.

Stoop by a sticker shop and get some Rapid Remover off them, It's made for removeing glue and will not hurt the paint.....

I second the lighter fluid. It has always worked for me in the past and it wont smear the old adhesive.

You must have enough answers, but the BEST is
Naptha
(Zippo-type lighter fluid)
BUT DONT USE THE STEEL WOOL!

BUT DONT USE THE STEEL WOOL!

How do you think people have been cleaning the rust off of Cragar wheels since they were invented?

You can use steel wool on chrome without scratching it to get anything from rust to old stickers off if you use the finest you can get, just don't use the coarse stuff. I have used it to get off old bumper stickers and it worked just fine.

-
Back