drilling 8 1/4 axles for sbp?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Is it possible to drill 8 1/4 axles for 5x4 sbp? I realize I would need to drill the drum also. My 7 1/4 is howling pretty bad so I am considering a 8 1/4 swap(I figure a 8 3/4 is overkill for a stock 273, besides $$$), and I can't see new wheels right now, so I would like to stick with sbp, I figure I can get new drums and a set of used drums(that hopefully will come with rear end) and get them all redrilled at the same time and be set for quite a while.
Aaron

Figured on machine shop. Was doing some measuring on a 8 1/4 volare rear diff. I have. The center register on the Volare axles is 2.75(approximately, I used a tape measure for a rough measurement)and the small bolt wheel center measured 2.3125(approximately). Assuming that a-body 8 1/4 is the same, could the register be turned down that far, and would it afftect the brake drum centering or would a person leave just enough of a lip for the brake drum to sit on?

To bad you're that far away. Doing a complete drive train swap on a 71 swinger. You could have my 7 1/4 rear. 71000 original miles on the car. Brakes will be a problem. Axles stick out a little more with the big bolt pattern axle. It can be done. A friend of mine did it with an 8 3/4 going from sbp to bbp. Used the sbp brakes and drilled the drums too. You would have to do the opposite.

It seems every time a 7 1/4 pops up it's too far away, except for the sure grip that popped up a while back and it was between paydays. I was kind of wondering about using BBP drums redrilled for SBP. Another question I had is I see people recommend screw in studs, are they available in 7/16, I looked around Jegs and Summit and didn't see anything.
Thanks
Aaron

-
Back