Drip rail trim

-

Kegan B

Reaction score
Anyone been successful at pulling drip rail trim off and putting it back on? I looked at mine and can't figure out a good way to remove it for paint. Thanks

wooden paint mixing stick ......and a lot ....I mean a lot of patience

pry it up from the bottom with the stick and work it off an inch at a time

I just took the one off my wagon that is like 8 feet long and did it without messing it up .....took about 45 mins though #-o

wooden paint mixing stick ......and a lot ....I mean a lot of patience

pry it up from the bottom with the stick and work it off an inch at a time

I just took the one off my wagon that is like 8 feet long and did it without messing it up .....took about 45 mins though #-o
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

Yes it's not that bad. Get yourself some hard plastic body tools. Usually sold in a pack of four or five. Start at a pillar and pry up. Eventually you will be able to slide the tool under the lip and lift. Go slowly. When you reinstall push down and the bottom will catch. Sometimes you can use a soft maillot and a piece of wood. The metal is almost spring loaded. I just did this job a year and a half ago. Not too hard. Just take your time.

you can use an old fashion church key the one with the bottle opener on the other end.

Kegan, If you use the bottle opener, wrap it with some electrical tape so it doesn't scratch the trim....

About 80% of the time I can get it with my fingers! I prefer that because I know I generally wont damage it.

But the bottle opener is the next best thing.

About 80% of the time I can get it with my fingers! I prefer that because I know I generally wont damage it.

But the bottle opener is the next best thing.

You must have some big fingers ......Dang that hurt My fingers when I tried that.

LOL, not really that big, but rather rough and definitely tough! :D

Attachments

• IMG_2831.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 182
work very gradual with a taped bottle opener.
your first end should come free when you have worked the first 5 or 6 inches up a decreasing amount.

I have used the church key with tape many times, but go REALLY slow. Putting it back on is pretty easy. You just go slowly; starting at the back (working your way towards the corner pieces by the windshield), and put the top lip over the top of the drip rail and press down to 'click; it into place. It is a real good idea to have a helper holding the other end for you to keep it from flopping around.

It's all in the wrist. Use a medium size flat head screwdriver. A few inches in from the front edge, put the screwdriver behind and under the trim. Quickly and sharply snap the screwdriver towards yourself and downward. Repeat every eight or ten inches until its off.
Takes a bit of practice to get right...speed is everything.

Wound up using a screwdriver and a body hammer (hammer on bottom to release it)

-
Back