Drive Shaft Nuts

-

Swifster

Reaction score
So I'm driving out to Vegas and towing home a '69 Valiant 2-dr sedan with a tow dolly. I want to pull the drive shaft. What socket or wrench size do I need at the U-Joints at the rear axle? 1/2"? 9/16"? I don't want to leave the drive shaft in. Thanks in advance.

Why are you afraid to take more than one wrench? just throw your toolbox in the trunk/back of the truck and you'll have all bases covered.
What rear end does it have? Straps or U bolts on the U joints? Straps are usually 3/8 head size, although I've seen service kits that have reduced head size bolts in the 5/16 range, or allen screws; so it could have those... If it's U bolts probably a 7/16 or 3/8 wrench. After more than 50 years, who knows what you'll find under there.
And don't forget to take a drain pan and a spare yoke along to plug the transmission tailshaft with, or you'll be puking transmission fluid all over the guy's driveway.

When you haul it on a tow dolly, just remember all the trans fluid will go to back of the trans, so you will need a drain pan of some kind to empty it. Probably better to drop the tranny pan, and drain. If the car has stock joint straps, it requires a 7/16" wrench.

professor nailed it. take the whole treasure chest man, you never know what you're going to find under there.

i'd leave the driveshaft in it and just strap it up that way you don't even have to worry about containing the trans fluid.

take a floor jack with you and a pair of stands so you can shimmy shake under there to get at it without becoming a pancake. my friend Justin Case always says take a spare for the car and one for the dolly.

Duct tape to keep the u joint cups from falling off.

Bailing wire to tie up the drive shaft.

As for wrenches.
3/8, 7 /16, 1/2, 9/16 combination wrenches box on one end open on the other.

You can always pickup whatever you need unless you are in the middle of nowhere.

Take photos.

You might want to be sure the tires on the ground are new enough. Hate to see a blowout

A car trailer would be a better choice…. Can do a one way with U-haul, drive out to Sun City, pick it up, grab the car and drop the trailer off at the local spot. Way better than dragging some unknown car on it’s rotted out back tires…

Uhaul Auto Transport is your friend. Tell em it's a 2000 chevy cavalier convertible. I have hauled everything from A bodies to C Body Chrysler new Yorkers on 1. They are great!

Tell em it's a 2000 chevy cavalier convertible
The weight might be similar but the length is all wrong. I had a chevy cavalier. Itty Bitty car. I always use a mid 80s Thunderbird. My 67 Dart is actually only about a foot longer than a 2007 Taurus!

-
Back