Driver's Side Door Mirror Question

-

Bookmaker

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace the base model door mirror on my 1974 Duster with the remote mirror. Is the large hole for the mirror remote cables already stamped in the door or will I have to drill that out?

You will have to drill it and I think it's 9/16

Yep, the hole in the door needs to be big enough for the interior adjuster to go through.
You will probably have to drill the inside panel of the door as well as the panel of course and there is a push on holder that holds it to the door metal (nice to have when installing it before the panel goes back on)
Once the bezel is on the clip doesn't matter, as it just holds the adjuster in the door until the panel and bezel goes on.

Are you both talking about the inside door panel or the exterior sheet metal? My question was about the exterior sheet metal where the mirror attaches to the door. Is the hole for the cables already in the sheet metal under the mirror?

I just had mine off fixing the control cable day before yesterday, dangit.
If need be I can pull it again and take measurements and pictures.

I just had mine off fixing the control cable day before yesterday, dangit.
If need be I can pull it again and take measurements and pictures.

I don't think I will need measurements or pictures. I can use the rubber gasket that came with the new mirror as a template for the larger hole. The smaller holes will be there from the base mirror. I can line up with those.

I don't think I will need measurements or pictures. I can use the rubber gasket that came with the new mirror as a template for the larger hole. The smaller holes will be there from the base mirror. I can line up with those.

Cool, that works.
One thing you will run into is keeping the control cables out of the way of the glass.
The cable runs forward inside the door around the glass so you may have to come up with a creative way of keeping it there.
Mine has clips that hold the cable by pressing them onto one of the inner seams on panel of the door where the hinges are.
That's one of the reasons I had to take mine apart, was because that clip kept falling off and letting the cable drop down in the way of the glass.
I rolled the window down the other day and it came down on the cable and messed up the tension.
Ok, then as I needed to lube my remote lock pivot points anyway since they were getting a little sticky.

Nothing wanted to work with 100% fail safe, so I drilled a small hole about center between the two hinges, bent a hook in a piece of wire to hold the cable in one end then put the other end through the hole I drilled and bent it over flat with the door metal.
Done deal now.:D

The repop one I bought has the clip plus all of the other related hardware. If necessary, a zip tie or two should help keep things where they belong.

I was really hoping to avoid drilling a big hole in the top of the door. I'll just have to be super careful with that.

The repop one I bought has the clip plus all of the other related hardware. If necessary, a zip tie or two should help keep things where they belong.

I was really hoping to avoid drilling a big hole in the top of the door. I'll just have to be super careful with that.

Mototool. :D

FYI on my 74 Duster without remote mirrors the holes were already there in the driver's side for a remote mirror for sure. Maybe you will luck out!

FYI on my 74 Duster without remote mirrors the holes were already there in the driver's side for a remote mirror for sure. Maybe you will luck out!

That will be awesome if so. I'll be getting into it next week. I'm going to change out the driver's mirror and add the matching passenger mirror. While I'm in there I'll be Dynomatting the doors.

Well if you end up having to do it make a write up about it and post it up with some pictures if you can. If someone has a template maybe they can post it up. I just lucked out on mine and the holes were already there.. Seems odd that they would make different doors for cars with and without remote mirrors. That would slow down the production line.

Well if you end up having to do it make a write up about it and post it up with some pictures if you can.

The mirror swap and the addition of the passenger mirror went perfectly. The big hole for the remote cables was already in the driver's door, as was the mounting hole for the joystick. The hard board for the door panels was perforated where the joystick comes through, so a couple nudges with a razor and it popped out.

I think I measured a dozen times before drilling the passenger door. So stressful to drill into something pretty. While the door panels were off, I located and fixed a rattle in the passenger door and then Dynamatted both doors.

old-mirror.jpg

big-hole.jpg

remote-hole.jpg

remote-in.jpg

remote-done.jpg

lt-mirror.jpg

rt-mirror.jpg

Dynamat.jpg

Thanks man! I bet it was a bit nerve racking to drill the passenger side. Looks great!

-
Back