Driveshaft Help! 5 inches too long. Ideas?

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I am trying to acquire the final parts that I need to get this Duster finished up. Today one of my buddies from the club gave me a driveshaft out of a 68 roadrunner and it measures 54ish inches centerline to centerline. I mocked up my tranny (A-833 4 speed with 8 3/4 rear) and it is about 5in too long. It looks like I need a 49ish inch driveshaft. So I have a few options that come across my mind right now. Can a shop shorten and re-balance this for me or would I be better off trading/selling it for the correct one? Any ideas from the experts? Thanks in advance! Here is a pic.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 127
yes...a drive line shop can shorten and rebalance a drive shaft....

Ken, absolutely, that can be shortened and balanced.

Find a reputable shop, ask them how they want you to measure for fitment and have at it.

I had mine shortened and balanced by a shop here that builds drive shafts, it was 90 bucks to shorten, balance and check for run out. Heck, they even painted it for me.

When you decide on a shop, ask them to be very clear on how they want it measured. Some shops will differ.

Hint: They should tell you first and foremost that the suspension needs to be loaded, as in jack stands under the rear to assimilate ride conditions.

If they don't tell you or suggest it, I might consider calling someone else. The rear needs to have the car weight on it when measuring, if its hanging you would end up with the shaft too long and could and most likely would damage the tailshaft on the trans.

-
Back