DRIVESHAFT issues

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
1968 plymouth barracuda 440 8 3/4 rear (SUREGRIP)

i recently started to drive my Barracuda (daily driver) work and back home about 20 miles round trip daily and started to notice the vibration.

recently did the SS suspension on it and thinking the angle might be off but took a quick look and angle is actually really close to straight. started to think it might be the u-joint then took another look and saw that the drive shaft where the u bolts clip on do not align compared to the transmission side the pinion side is about 15 degrees out. is this a bad drive shaft?

Sounds like it could have been welded wrong.

I would take it to a driveshaft shop to have it balanced. They will also check to make sure it's straight.

I just took mine in a couple weeks ago after a consistent vibration. I had the u-joints replaced and balanced for $90!! Guy said the old u-joints were fine but the shaft was way out of balance.

No more vibration!!

Thats ggreat to hear fysh, with that said. how did you come to find a shop that works on drive shafts?

anyone know any good drive shaft shops in so cal?

Have you tried to google driveline???

That's how I found the shop that did mine. When I pulled up, I knew it was the place...old school shop. Two guys that have been there like 30 years. He quoted me $130 over the phone, but I told him I would write a review on Google so I think that's why he cut me a break.

I just Googled driveshaft woodstock and only two came up.

Try 4 wheel drive/off-road shops. I have a local shop here in Daytona called Gary's Driveline who races and does a lot of that kind of work - driveshafts, leaf springs, u-bolts, etc.. Do you know anyone at your end that's into that and could provide a good recommendation?

If you're talking about the "ears" being off from one end to the other, then yes, I'm pretty sure that isn't right and needs to be "indexed" or whatever the correct term is.

Check pinion & tailshaft end angles?

where in CA? There is a place in Garden Grove that does that work. Google driveline services.
Powertrain Industries - Garden Grove  
Driveshaft Shop
Address: 7582 Anthony Ave, Garden Grove, CA 92841

there is a place in El Toro (Laguna Woods) behind the auto center that worked with me once too. He wouldn't balance a home welded shaft though, he said he would need to cut and weld it again for liability.

If the yokes are out of phase it will shake rattle and roll. Better have it checked out. Probably need one end cut and re-welded.

THIS IS ALL GREAT STUFF GUYS THANKS -

oops sorry for the caps, yeah i live in Brea Ca Garden grove is about 20 minutes away.

i googled drive shaft Brea ca and got a hit shop named drive line shop in Fulerton great reviews. i am going to try them.

thanks again.

as far as removing - its just four bolts on the pinion side then shake loose and then pull off on the trans. side?
i have never worked on drive shafts.

I'd jack the back up,use a wheel chock for the front (so it can't roll) and make sure you have a drain pan under the tail shaft to catch the fluid.

-
Back