Driveshaft Length

-

topjimy

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody else has a correct drive shaft, but seems too short, after measuring center to center length on car, I know it should be approx 1" shorter, but mine is 2" - 2.25" shorter.

I have a 360, 727 trans and 8.25 rear.

All of these components came from the same donor car (less motor).
I believe the drive shaft to be correct at 45" center to center length.

After multiple measurements my center to center on the car (under weight of vehicle) is approx 47 1/8".
This leads me to believe I need an additional 1" on shaft or 46"

Trying to remedy a bad vibration starting around 50 mph and gets worse up to around 65.

Just dropped the shaft off at a local shop and waiting for a price to re-tube.

Has anybody encountered this before?

Not all A-bodies are the same wheelbase. There's the 108" wheelbase cars, (early A Cuda's, Valliant's and 60's Darts I believe) and 111" wheelbase cars (Dusters, Dart sports, mainly anything 70 or newer I think). I'm not 100% sure on what all is 108" wheelbase and what's 111" wheelbase but I think that's correct. My guess is you have a shaft made for a 108" wheelbase and a car that's 111" wheelbase, but that's just a guess since you didn't state what car you have and what donor car the drivetrain is from

I should have mentioned the donor car was a 73 340 dart sport (340 long gone) and seemed to be original complete less motor, it had a stuck 318.

Many variables with drive shafts, just curious if anybody else has had measurements that seemed odd.

-
Back