Drop Base for Mopar Chrome Air Cleaner

-

Demon 408

Reaction score
I'm trying to gain about 1/2" to 1" clearance for my Mopar Performance original-style (unsilenced) 13" Air Cleaner. Has anyone found a drop base that works with these air cleaner assemblies? Thanx.

air.gif

I need the room to. They use an odd size air filter.

I bought a cheapo drop base air cleaner on eBay, it was $25 with top and filter. Painted it black but eventually tossed the top in favor of the original top. The filter is at least 4 inch, I think its taller though.

DSC04128.JPG

DSC04531.JPG

Mancini has a 14" drop base air cleaner with a cast aluminum top plate air cleaner (sort of mimicks the Mopar performance one) that they showed at the Indy swap meet. It is not in their literature but the last time I talked to them they still had them. I believe they were around $80.

Don't want to spend $51 that bad. Not into fords.

Have you looked at putting in a filter element that is shorter. K&N has different diameters and heights that might let you find a match. That would drop the top down.

Thanks for the inputs. The Mopar unsilenced Air Cleaners are 12.75" in diameter. The Ford Motor Sports air cleaner (link in Dogbreath's post) is the closest that I've found to the correct size. But you've got to buy the entire air cleaner...maybe it's time to break out the cutoff wheel and welder and make my own.

Thanks for the inputs. The Mopar unsilenced Air Cleaners are 12.75" in diameter. The Ford Motor Sports air cleaner (link in Dogbreath's post) is the closest that I've found to the correct size. But you've got to buy the entire air cleaner...maybe it's time to break out the cutoff wheel and welder and make my own.

Hold the phone there Demon 408, Give me a couple hours and I will put a tape on a drop base bottom my son has put in my storage :happy10:
It has the top and bottom and ran it on his Hobby class dirt racer :-D
I helped him get a new set of drums to play in a great band Know that sh!!! is mine :toothy10: I will see what size it is and all I will need is shipping 8)

Yes it is raining out side 8) But I had to take the trash down to the road anyway
Here is what I found, It drops the filter 1 3/8'', I did not bother to clean it up.

CHRISTMAS BROTHERS HOUSE 2009 039.jpg

CHRISTMAS BROTHERS HOUSE 2009 043.jpg

CHRISTMAS BROTHERS HOUSE 2009 044.jpg

CHRISTMAS BROTHERS HOUSE 2009.jpg

Memike,

Thanks for taking the time to dig up the air cleaner and pics. I've got a 14' inch drop base in the shed and was considering making the same "adjustment" as you show in your pic. As you know the unsilenced Mopar air cleaner base is smaller than the top because the air inlet is provided by the gap at the bottom between the top and the base plate. Perhaps, not the most efficient design, but it's Mopar and it's what I'm trying to stay true to in this build.

I'm trying to gain about 1/2" to 1" clearance for my Mopar Performance original-style (unsilenced) 13" Air Cleaner. Has anyone found a drop base that works with these air cleaner assemblies? Thanx.

Do you have a spacer between your carb and intake ?

Do you have a spacer between your carb and intake ?

Yes, I have a 1/2 spacer, but I need to keep it for accelerator pump clearance and for heat isolation. I could reduce the spacer to a 1/4" but it won't gain as much as making a drop base or modifying a 14" drop base to fit.

Sometimes there can be a problem with a drop-base air cleaner interfering with the choke linkage. What's the best way to figure out if that's happening? (This is probably a dumb question, but I've been surprised at how much I've learned on here by asking dumb questions.)

Memike,

Thanks for taking the time to dig up the air cleaner and pics. I've got a 14' inch drop base in the shed and was considering making the same "adjustment" as you show in your pic. As you know the unsilenced Mopar air cleaner base is smaller than the top because the air inlet is provided by the gap at the bottom between the top and the base plate. Perhaps, not the most efficient design, but it's Mopar and it's what I'm trying to stay true to in this build.

You are very welcome Demon 408 :happy10: Good luck and keep us updated :happy10:

I wasnt able to fit my OEM 340 air-cleaner(which is a drop base) with a 1/2" spacer under the hood.

My intake is the Ede RPM,which sits higher than a stock 340 intake.
I ended up using a Edelbrock heat insulator gasket which measures around 5/16". Just that little amount made the difference.

30 D pics 013.jpg

I wasnt able to fit my OEM 340 air-cleaner(which is a drop base) with a 1/2" spacer under the hood.

My intake is the Ede RPM,which sits higher than a stock 340 intake.
I ended up using a Edelbrock heat insulator gasket which measures around 5/16". Just that little amount made the difference.

What paint did you use on your exhaust? It looks great!

You are very welcome Demon 408 :happy10: Good luck and keep us updated :happy10:

Here's the final solution that I chose, at least for my combination.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-9600-A302/?image=large

I used the base from this air cleaner only...not the lid, so relax, no Ford logo was used. Why this base? Because it's the same diameter as the Mopar air cleaner (see my original post) and it drops the air cleaner a total of 7/8".8)

The Mopar air cleaner is acutually a raised base (1/4") and the Ford base has a drop of 5/8" (total 7/8" drop).

Just so we are all on the same page here's a list of my combo:
LD-340 Intake, stock Demon hood with stock dual snorkle hood scoop and a Holley carb with a 1/2" spacer.

Anyone interested in buying a new Ford Racing Air Cleaner with a 1/4" raised Mopar base?:thumrigh:

-
Back