Drum Brake Specs

-

mopar crazy

Reaction score
Does any know what size REAR brakes were offered on the 70 Duster with an 8 3/4 rear???
9, 10,or 11inch.
Thanks

Let me put this a better way...
The small bolt pattern 5X4 only came with 9inch rear brakes. Correct???
Regardless if it was a 7 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear. Correct???
Thanks

1970 had 9 inch rears on slant 6 engines 10 inch on front. this is for the smaller rear

1970 had 10 inch on front and rear on all v8 cars. drums are also 10 inch for disc brake cars as well
this is for the 8 3/4 rear

this would apply to all small bolt pattern year cars.

7demon2 Thanks for your patience... I'm trying to grasp this.
The story in short. I bought a 70 Duster 6Cyl. Dropped in a 340.
Got an 8 3/4 housing with 10inch backing plates, NO Drums, at Carlisle.
Called Mancini and ordered the Large Bolt Pattern Axles 5X4.5 .
Now I need Drums, Large pattern, 10inch.
Kanter tells me that there are 3 different shoe sizes. 2", 2 1/2", 3".
Does the backing plate have anything to do with the shoe size, or is it just the drum it self???
Thanks Again
Pete

The backing plate has everything to do with shoe size. There is also the possibility that there are no shoe/drum combinations that will work with the a-body backing plates, but if there are it is the 10x2".

Sorry, I don't know what they came off of. I thought there was a way to tell what size shoe would fit....

Look for a part number stamped into it. Otherwise, you will need to measure the offset between the axle flange and the pads that the shoes ride on. Add to that the axle offset and that should put you in the ballpark., but without a year it may still be tough to get brakes for them.

Jim, Thanks for the help....
So far the only numbers I can find is the wheel cyl. part #'s. 2460668.
Don't know if we can cross that to anything. This weekend I'll sand the plates down and hopefully something will show up...

-
Back