DTM primer

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
DTM primer question...
I usually use a self etching primer on bare metal then go over it with a high build urethane primer. I've been reading that DTM claims no self etch is needed and is better than using the etch primer, having more adhesion properties, easier to work with etc...
I have done half dozen or so cars using my method with great results and hold up well through the years after they have been painted.
Is it worth the change to DTM, or continue my tried and true method?

DTM primer question...
I usually use a self etching primer on bare metal then go over it with a high build urethane primer. I've been reading that DTM claims no self etch is needed and is better than using the etch primer, having more adhesion properties, easier to work with etc...
I have done half dozen or so cars using my method with great results and hold up well through the years after they have been painted.
Is it worth the change to DTM, or continue my tried and true method?

That's been a tried and true method for me as well. I like the fact that with the etch prime a little goes a long way, and goes on wet so you can get a good look at the panel for imperfections and correct before breaking out the high build. Keeps bare panels from flash rusting as you work around the car. I used PPG dtm product one time quite a few years ago and didn't like the way it sanded, but I think they've improved.

Any good epoxy primer will work for what you want. Prep the surface per the tech sheet and make sure it's clean. Use nitrile gloves and DON'T TOUCH it with your bare hands, or you will have isssues later on down the road. Another word of advice stick with one product line line PPG, DuPont, R-M, Glasurite, ect as these as designed to work as a total system. Don't start playing the mad chemist as problems can come back and bite you in the end.

Thanks guys! I think I will stick to what I've been doing for years now that I know works.

-
Back