Dual 2 bbl or 4 bbl carb intake

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
Who prefers what?

Which will give a better performance/ more power.

Already bought Clifford headers just need the exhaust and new intake.

dual 2 is going to give you better distribution, but a 4 wont have to be balanced like a 2. If your using 2 new carbs, balance should be pretty easy, just make all the jetting and bleeds the same. 2 has linkage issue also. IF they cost the same, (they wont) I would go with the 2. if you go with a 4 try and find a 390 Holley or a <=500 carter. Some old OEM Carters were smaller than 500.

dual 2 is going to give you better distribution, but a 4 wont have to be balanced like a 2. If your using 2 new carbs, balance should be pretty easy, just make all the jetting and bleeds the same. 2 has linkage issue also. IF they cost the same, (they wont) I would go with the 2. if you go with a 4 try and find a 390 Holley or a <=500 carter. Some old OEM Carters were smaller than 500.

So the power it'll give will be the same?
I know the 4 is going to be cheaper.

Are the two barrels progressive? Can you find two matched carbs?

Second thought, nevermind. Just go get the four barrel. Easy. :burnout:

I see a lot of guys struggling with the synchronization and balance to multiple carbs. It seems to be a tough hurdle for many. Linkages being stable and not slipping and screwing up carb sync can be a lot harder than it appears. If you are not familiar with these issues, then a 4 bbl is a lot easier.

The biggest factor in the power dept is the cam and compression.
Since either of these two combos will supply adequate air, chose whichever you feel you can tune and maintain.
As for me I would go 2x2 just for the cool factor.Unless perhaps if your running a ManualTrans. The M/T wont play well with non-progressive 2x2s. Now if a 3x1-progressive was on the option list! Id go for that,hands down

I have a two one barrel manifold (Offenhauser) that I am modifying to be twin two barrels. They will be in line like on a V8 tunnel ram and will open at the same time. The way the manifold is made, I think this will have to be the way it goes. Linkage shouldn't be much of a problem either with this setup. As others have mentioned, a single 4 bbl will be easier to tune and will probably make more power but I like multiple carb setups for the cool factor (I have a tunnel ram 2-4bbl 440 that runs awesome).

It's an automatic. The double carb cool factor is there but I am going for the 4 barrel. Thanks.

I like the fact it'll be easier to maintain

best way to make power on a /6 is a 4 barrel
the swap the /6 out from underneath and install a 318 instead

sorry, couldn't resist

it is hard to beat the looks of a dual carb set up

then again, rock beats scissors

-
Back