dual master on 66 Barracuda

-

retractable

Reaction score
I need some info on master cyl . I have a 66 Barracuda parts car that had a dual master with a booster and disk brakes. I Thought it had been changed from a single master. I am ordering new ss lines and the company said late 66 builds had a dual master with disk brakes. I have all the correct lines for both dual and single master cyl. Any one have more info on a dual master set up for a 66? Thanks

Not in '66 they didn't. I have several '66's with factory disc brakes and they're all single master cylinders. One is a 32K original built late in the model year. It's a recommended upgrade however. Any of the later 4 bolt cast iron cylinders will bolt on. Match power for power and manual for manual as the piston diameters (and therefor pedal effort) are different. I've used the '67-up lines and proportioning valve with no major mods needed.

I'm sorry, but that just sounds scary!!! It's bad enough when a wheel cylinder goes out with the single master, I don't even want to be the one who has to bring a disc car down from speed when it happens!!! Geof

This is why you replace with a dual master. This is the side of my wife's Jag after I decided to back my Formula S out of the garage on a recent 70 degree Saturday. Question of the day- How to really tick off your wife?View attachment 123101_1525[00].jpg

Yeah, you learn to check the brake fluid level often! And test the brakes before you put it in gear.....

I had replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes the week before. I had good pedal when I started the car, but a wheel cylinder ruptured and you have nothing. Before I could pull the emergency brake it was all over.

All 4 of my 66's have single masters and Yes I check fluid level often on all of them. I want to put the factory disk brakes back of the S and replace the lines with SS lines. I have not found any company that makes a kit for a 66 with disk brakes and a power brakes. The company that I have contacted wants me to send in all of my original lines for them to make a patern. Now I dont know what set to send the single master set or the dual set. I need to contact them and they might want both sets. I did not know the late Barracuda's had the dual system. I took the dual system off years ago and replaced it with a new single master and thought it was correct . I did keep ALL of the parts that I took off. Thanks Jay

-
Back