Dual piston caliper ?

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
I did a alterkation front end on my 63 valiant which came with 11" wilwood rotors and dual piston calipers. I have not been able to keep a firm pedal without pumping them up. Master cyl. is new with dual lines. I noticed in an older thread where someone was having a simular issue and said his bleeders where facing towards the rear of the car and it was mentioned here that they should be facing forward. Now mine are facing to the rear also as are the single bleeders in my dodge diesel truck which confuses me. Keep in mind my calipers have top and bottom bleeders, should they be facing forward ? Also they are manual disc brakes, no room for power assist with a big block. Thanks The car is not on the road yet for any road test. :banghead:

Sounds like you still have air in the line or your proportioning valve isn't working. If you have bleeders on the top you would be golden.

they are on top, he means leading or trailing location of the caliper in relation to the hub...

are you sure these are not 4 piston? does it have two bleeders on each end?

Yeah, it doesn't matter if bleeders face front or back, the issue is they need to be on the top of the caliper -- the air bubbles are going to rise to the highest point.

Keep in mind my calipers have top and bottom bleeders, should they be facing forward ?

they are on top, he means leading or trailing location of the caliper in relation to the hub...

are you sure these are not 4 piston? does it have two bleeders on each end?

I was going off his statement that he has top and bottom bleeders. This is another one of those threads where the op would post some pictures it would make a lot of difference.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if bleeders face front or back, the issue is they need to be on the top of the caliper -- the air bubbles are going to rise to the highest point.

X2.......... the bleeders have to be facing to the highest point, of the brake system.

I was going off his statement that he has top and bottom bleeders. This is another one of those threads where the op would post some pictures it would make a lot of difference.

got it, with the wilwoods i have found bleeding them and them letting them sit overnight and bleeding them again gets it done. also as you said on a aftermarket prop valve its a good idea to open it all the way for a free flow

They have one bleeder top and one bleeder on the bottom. I guess doing so they can be used on either side and they are just 2 pistons per caliper. Sorry no pics I am at work killing time and looking for answers. I bench bled the MC and it still will squirt fluid upward if I pump it hard but I was told by someone in here that was normal. In the past I have changed out a few MC and don't remember ever seeing it squirt after bench bleeding. I also am using a wilwood adjustable prop. valve.

Brake problem solved-If I had only opened my eyes earlier and remembered they ARE 4 piston calipers. They work better when you bleed they outer bleeders also -da!!! When doing the origional bleeding I was inside the engine compartment and didn't notice the outer bleeders, I just happened to remove the wheels and there they were--what a maroon! Thanks to 805moparkid who got me thinking.

-
Back