Dual Point Distributor worth anything?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey

This came with my '69 340. Seems to be in pretty good shape and mostly complete.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

And what the heck is this thing? A vent?

IMG_2086.jpg

The little flapper deal moves.

This worth anything?

Thanks,
Steve

The flapper is a oil cup and lid (the flapper) The distributors need oiled from the top side. To a 4 speed restoration they are worth some $$'s toolman

I think only the 4 speed cars had dual points/ Auto's had singles.

The 273 commando engines came with a cast iron Prestolite dual point distributor. The wrinkle finish on those valve covers was supposed to mimic/match the cast iron distributor.
I have one for 1967 model that came with a complete tune up parts kit for it but I probably wont ever use it. Cost was about 100.00 shipped. Hope this helps

The 273 commando engines came with a cast iron Prestolite dual point distributor. The wrinkle finish on those valve covers was supposed to mimic/match the cast iron distributor.
I have one for 1967 model that came with a complete tune up parts kit for it but I probably wont ever use it. Cost was about 100.00 shipped. Hope this helps

Hmm, I believe this unit is cast iron. I'm not looking to gouge anybody, but if its only worth a couple bucks I'll keep it because its cool!

I keep lugging around this single plane 2bbl 318 intake for the same reason! haha.

I thought after 69 the dual point was not built by Prestolite, not cast iron. Must ahve been a later year when they changed.
And I'm the same way. I wnated to own the complete Commando package even if some of it remains on the shelf.

My 1970 Duster 340 with an automatic had a dual point distributor before I switched it over to a Direct Connection electronic ignition.

Depends on year if Auto's came with dual points.

68 both got Dual point
69-71 340 cars the manual got a Dual point, Autos (ex. 340-6 cars dual) got single.

Tony's parts who is one of the most expensive on the planet for lots of stuff sells those Dist for about 110-120. The guy wanting $250 is, IMO, an idgit and known for asking way beyond reasonable prices for stuff. Clean, restored to factory condition with all fresh parts, then MAYBE, rusty nasty and needing rebuild... no fricken way!

It's worth about $50-75. If you want in that range I'd be interested in it for my 340 4 speed swinger.

Last dual point I sold on eBay was from a 68 340 auto. It was a cast iron Prestolite and brought about 125 dollars IIRC. This was about 2 years ago.

Sorry for my misinformation guys. Auto trans cars had dual points too. toolmanmike

I had one from a 68 340 a little over a year ago. A guy happily offered $100 for it and I happily accepted.

-
Back