Dumb tranny question...

-

fastback68cuda

Reaction score
well, at least to some it might be. trans and shift kit were on the car when i bought it and i don't know much about automatic transmissions so here goes...i have a small block 727 with a shift kit...problem is when the car has been sitting a while and i start it, i need to shift the tranny into neutral in order to get fluid to flow.

if i don't do this i can shift into any position and the trans will not “lock” into gear. the longer the car has sat the longer i need to wait. The previous owner indicated the stall converter was the problem but i’m wondering if maybe something went wrong with the shift kit install and is maybe blocking a passage? Anyways, it's really just a minor inconvenience but before i start chasing a ghost i’m wondering if i should pay a shop to have a look or just go out and buy another trans...i thought maybe someone here might have any idea where to start...

thanks

I havs a 3600 stall convert I have to leave it in park for 1/2 a minute before she will move without over revving it.

The convert drains down when she sits.

Mine does this too... and it's stock. Of course it leaks fluid all over my driveway too. :angry5:

weird thing is if i don't run it for a week or so it could take about 10 minutes before it's ready to go...so is this pretty normal or do we all just have screwy transmissions? is there a way of determining what rpm stall i have without taking the trans apart?

mine leaks a bit too but i thought it was because i'm missing the dust cover.

i think i saw some 727's in the summit catalog, forget the brand name...does anyone know if they're any good?

thanks for the reply fellas...

The high stall converter is not the problem. Torque converter drainback is a common problem on torqueflites with stock converters too. But having to wait 10 minutes for it to move isn't. Have you checked the filter lately? Maybe it's plugged up. While your in there check the band adjustment. The leak you mentioned can't be caused by the dust cover missing. The dust cover dosen't seal anything. But if the leak is from the front pump seals the problem could be worse.

The torque converter drainback problem can be remedied (or at least helped alot) by installing one of Trans-go's modified manual valve kits. After you install this kit you can then check your fluid in park like Gm's and Fords. What's happening is the manual valve exhausts while in park so the converter is free to drain back. The problem is much worse when the car is parked up hill also.

-
Back