Dupont Paint Costs!! Sticker Shock!

-
I used 3 liters to do my Dart and could have used more. That was 3 or coats on the outside 2 on the jams trunk and engine compartment. The trunk was a bit thin.

Your prepping is 99% of a good paint job.If you are going for a lighter color,such as yellow,white,Sassy Grass Green,etc,if possible,get a sealer or use a primer that is light in color as well.If your car is like say ,white and want to paint it metallic blue,spray a dark sealer because metallics are transparent and are a ***** to cover.You will use up LOTS of materials when you try and cover a black hood with yellow and such.I found this the hard way when I painted a friends car Sassy Grass green and his primer was black,omg it was a pain in the arse to cover that black.But yeah,a good prepped and cleaned surface is key.

I could get you that color a lot cheaper, but you would have to switch to PPG base.

How good of quality is the paintforcars.com or from http://www.tcpglobal.com/?

We need to get paint on the son's Duster this summer, but have a very limited budget this year. I'm not looking for something that will last 20 years, but at least 3-4 years would be good.

I purchased some Merlot metallic Acrylic Urethane single stage from paint for cars along with 2x primer.Sprayed the front fender with the Merlot doing very little prep work just to test it out.Seamed to spray and lay down very good I will be doing my car next winter as I was not set on a certain color and it will be a low budget build

I haven't painted, or had a car painted in years. Why is paint so expensive?!?!?! What the hell are they mixing in there?

I haven't painted, or had a car painted in years. Why is paint so expensive?!?!?! What the hell are they mixing in there?

I will try to explain some of the cost......

In the old days when paint was cheep the transfer rate of spray guns was also bad.
So paint was cheep and when you painted most of the paint ended up on the floor.

Then the high efficiency HVLP guns came along. Some of these guns have a transfer rate of 80+% so most of the paint you buy is getting on the car.

So, today you use much less paint when painting a car.

Using much less paint = lower paint sales for the paint manufactures.

In order to combat this paint prices went up. (They sell less paint so they are charging more for it).

People that are painting at home with old guns really get hosed.

(+ government regulations, fees, shipping, material and manufacturing costs have all went up)

This is my gun.

Sata3000.jpg

Do you really need a gallon? The Chroma Base mixes 1:1 with reducer so a gallon makes 2 gallons of spray-able material.

Dupont has a lower cost line called Nason and it's decent stuff.

-
Back