Duster engine install w/ TTI's

-

340kid

Reaction score
Planning on installing the 416 in my sons 72 Duster this weekend, we have TTI step headers, does anyone have an tips/tricks or advice on the install, motor is going in from top, do we lay the headers in there, install engine first, any advice is appreciated

Are you installing the Tranny attached to the engine? Seems to me that having the TTI's in the engine bay with a tranny attached to the engine could get kind of tight!

I installed me engine and tranny together than insallted the tti's. To install the TTI's from the bottom ensure the front end of the car is as high as possible. I had 6 ton jack stands on top of large pieces of wood. Probably 8X8 chunks. The reason the car has to be so high is becuase the drivers side header really has to be almost straight up and down to get it in from the bottom.

I also had power steering. The torsoin bars and starter were not in place while installing the headers. I wrapped the headers in bubble wrap as well.

If I were to do it again I would assemble everything on the k-member and slide her in from the bottom. Seems to me that would be much easier and you wouldn't have to worrry about scratching the new shiny paint!

There are many threads with regards to installing TTI headers that may have more information for you.

Good luck.

thanks, we were planning just engine/clutch/bellhousing then sliding tranny in from below later, was also planning on having starter installed (mini starter)

it's a 4 speed, i'm still unsure about installing with or without tranny attached, its our first install on an a body

it may be easier going in all at oince than trying to put tranny in from below

we originally were going to install on k member and go in from below, but we all the front suspension and t bars installed already

Planning on installing the 416 in my sons 72 Duster this weekend, we have TTI step headers, does anyone have an tips/tricks or advice on the install, motor is going in from top, do we lay the headers in there, install engine first, any advice is appreciated

follow the directions.. they were pretty dead on when i installed mine years ago.

follow the directions.. they were pretty dead on when i installed mine years ago.

Exactly! I followed the directions. Biggest thing was having the car up high enough to slide in the DS header.

Is it possible to remove and replace just the engine with the TTI's still in the engine bay? 70 Dart with a 360.

Test fit on the ground first. I put TTi's in with my 408. There was a molded hump on the block that the headers hit. I had to grind it down a bit. And, even though they asked what kind of starter I had, they hit my high torque mini starter and I had to beat up my shiny new headers to get them to clear.

Then, you need to lay them in the engine bay and start dropping in the motor. You will have to shift everything down as the engine lowers. Kind of a shoehorn fit. I had a few issues with steering hitting and had to shift the motor to clear properly, but I love my TTi's.

As mentioned test fit on the stand first. If you have a scattershield it may require some massaging.

I'd leave your headers in the shipping bags, start slowly dropping the engine and adjust as necessary. I've put a bunch in both Dougs and tti with them laid in. It's much easier than going from the bottom after it's installed.

If you have the exhaust studs in each end of the head, good luck... it's not going to go well and much more difficult.

yes it has a lakewood bell, i noticed i might need to trim a piece off, the header is riding right on it which may prevent the header from sealing,

what are your thoughts about installing with tranny on or off ?

Off, it's easier to move around without the trans.

Grind that area on the bell before installing it would be my suggestion.

I put the motor and tranny in as one piece. It was pretty easy. I love my TTi's. Word of advice, though. I went with 2 1/2 inch true dual exhaust and had a low rpm rap that sounded like a Chevy. It was embarrassing and I hated it. I changed to 3" rolled exhaust so it is true 3" even at the bends, and I installed an H pipe. It sounds so nice, and the rapping noise is long gone.

I installed my engine and transmission all together from the bottom. It works real smooth that way. Not one scratch this way. Here is some pics.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 242
  • 24.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 27.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 28.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 242
I agree ^^. Installing from the bottom is easier I think in the long run. Back in late May we put in a 440/727 with 2"TTI's and it was a cakewalk with everything already bolted up and ready to go.

Attachments

• 1338140023935.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 1338140061794.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 266
I installed my engine and transmission all together from the bottom. It works real smooth that way. Not one scratch this way. Here is some pics.

Dude, those are some seriously small wheels on the front. You may want to check in to 15" rims! :)

Oh, and why is that garage so clean?!?!

-
Back