Duster front grill swaps.......

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
Looking at a '73 but like the 70-72 grills better- especially the Sharkstooth. Will they bolt in a 73 or is the bumper area different. Can that be altered w/out too much trouble?

I am removing the grille from a 74 duster front end...and putting a 72 duster grille on it...I got the upper and lower grille supports with the 72 grille which makes it simple. The 73+ fender do not have one of the brackets from the fender to hold the upper support but it looks like a simple fix. So yes it can be done...

The hood is different, it has a raised section in the middle. There will be a gap between the earlier grille and the hood.

The lower filler is different also

Correct. There's a peak in the lower filler to match the one in the bumper. Not sure how obvious it would be or if it would interfere with the installation of the grille.

It would stick out farther then the grill. Look like a monkeys' but.
Correct. There's a peak in the lower filler to match the one in the bumper. Not sure how obvious it would be or if it would interfere with the installation of the grille.
Thought I saw in one of your threads where you did the whole front end

It would stick out farther then the grill. Look like a monkeys' but.

Well, I dunno about that but it definitely wouldn't look stock. :p

Here are the issues, helps to put them side by side. The '73+ grille, hood, lower filler, and bumper are all peaked in the middle. In addition to that, the hood has sections that are raised, as well as sections that are lowered, compared to the earlier style. You can see on this '72 (bottom) that the hood and grille surround are flat, same with the filler and the bumper. So if you installed the earlier grille on the '73 up car there would be a vertical gap between the grille and the hood in the middle, as well as a very narrow gap or even contact between the hood and grille surround in the lowered section on either side of the headlight bezels. And then there's the peak, so, the hood and lower filler would stick out past the grille.

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_0855 copy.JPG

The nice thing about a '73 is that you have a non-shock mount bumper. So, if you wanted to keep it a Duster but switch to the earlier style front end you would only need the hood, hood latch panel, grille, lower filler panel, bumper and brackets. Yeah, that sounds like a lot, but you can keep your fenders which is more than I could keep when I did my swap. And all of it will bolt on. Well, you may have to add a grille bracket or two to the fenders. But all the big stuff will bolt on, and then your car would resemble a '72 from the outside except for the taillights.

Thought I saw in one of your threads where you did the whole front end

Correct. I swapped my Duster over to a Demon. That requires everything though- hood, fenders, hood latch support, grille, bumper, bumper brackets, and lower valance. The works as they say. All of that bolts on though, I was able to buy an entire front clip from a guy that was parting a '71 Dart.

IMG_3627_zpsy3oleyjr.jpg

IMG_2059_zpsgwedlaiu.jpg

I bought a front clip to a 72 Duster last weekend...fenders..hood..two grilles..upper and lower grille supports...I already have a bumper.

Wait till you get prices on that "Sharkstooth" grille. It may sway your decision!
I had a 74 Plymouth I called the FrankenDuster. I swapped the parts to make the front appear like a 70-72 AND welded in taillight pockets like a 70-71.

I swapped a 73 Duster to a 68 Valiant grill. It has a 68 Valiant hood grill and front valance. Had to drill two holes to make it work. Will upload a pic if I can get it done.
73-68front.jpg
73.jpg

Wait till you get prices on that "Sharkstooth" grille. It may sway your decision!
I had a 74 Plymouth I called the FrankenDuster. I swapped the parts to make the front appear like a 70-72 AND welded in taillight pockets like a 70-71.
used to be crazy expensive, saw one recently for $600 reproed..............

So the only difference in the 73 up fenders is a missing mounting hole? Anyone have a picture of that? I purchased a 1973 Duster Twister for my son to build and we are planning to make it look like a 71 Twister.

used to be crazy expensive, saw one recently for $600 reproed..............
Plus headlight buckets
plus trim rings
Plus parking light assemblies
Plus headlight leveling kit
Plus mounting hardware

What I don't get is why no one repopping the 69 valiant grille, now that's a good looking piece

Last edited:
What I don't get is why no one repossession the 69 valiant grille, now that's a good looking piece

People do, I've seen quite a few dusters with the '69 Valiant grille. I actually considered doing that with my Duster, looked for those grille's for awhile. The metal grille is nice too, no cracking to deal with like all the plastic grilles. Problem is it's a 1 year only deal and the parking light lenses are hard to come by.

Here's a couple
my-pics-11-jpg.24342

000_0017.jpg

Last edited:
The 70-72 fenders have a small metal tab that is a mounting point for that long flat steel part that supports the top of the grille. These tabs are welded into the structure but can be added quite easily. I did this for my 74 Duster.

People do, I've seen quite a few dusters with the '69 Valiant grille. I actually considered doing that with my Duster, looked for those grille's for awhile. The metal grille is nice too, no cracking to deal with like all the plastic grilles. Problem is it's a 1 year only deal and the parking light lenses are hard to come by.

Here's a couple
my-pics-11-jpg.24342

000_0017.jpg

my phones autocorrect changed "repopping" to "repossing"

quite annoying

i was simply trying to say i think there would be a bigger market for the 69 valiant grille then for the shark toot grille
(i run one in my 71 duster myself, WITHOUT the parking light assemblies, which you were spot on about...hensteeth)

View attachment 1715026548

I did that grill set up probably 10 to 15 years ago , so I don't remember exactly where the holes were that I had to drill , I do remember it was easy to see once I started to put the grill in.... ( Here is a pic of both my Dusters a few years ago , they look the same now )

Frank

garage.jpg

1st picture....72 fender with bracket need for upper grille support...
2nd picture...74 fender with no bracket for upper support....easy to weld in new bracket..

20170415_135721_1492295788752_resized.jpg

-
Back