duster windshield install

-

dmopar74

Reaction score
whats the proper procedure for installing a 73 duster windshield with the locking strip? Gasket on car first or on glass first? 3m 08509 between body/gasket and gasket/glass? Tips or tricks?

Put the rubber on the car . Set the glass in the rubber on the bottom and work your way around with paint sticks that are filed thin on the edge and rounded on the corners. Use plenty of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Do them all the time never broke one yet. Take your time and work the bottom corners in then go up one side then the other. Then the top. The rubber needs to be soft. So never cold the warmer the better.

100_0036 (3).JPG

100_0068 (2).JPG

I use the same method and I set a small space heater in the car to heat things up nicely.
Also never had a problem after.
Like OMMopar say…Take your time!

An old timer told me if an installer doesn't show up with butyl, find another installer.
Butyl? You don't mean THIS, do you?

JGY 30 A.JPG

That stuff is for windshields and back lites where NO rubber gasket is used.

What you need is the NON hardening bedding compound. I've seen factory manuals that state to only apply it along the bottom and up each side 12" and I've seen other manuals state that the compound should go all the way around the "fence".
I apply it on the fence/channel, then slide the rubber gasket into place, holding it still with strips of tape. Another in consistency that I have read is where to start with the window. I've read to shove it UP into the upper channel first and work your way down, but I've also read to get the bottom set first and work your way up.

Butyl? You don't mean THIS, do you?

View attachment 1716075676

That stuff is for windshields and back lites where NO rubber gasket is used.

What you need is the NON hardening bedding compound. I've seen factory manuals that state to only apply it along the bottom and up each side 12" and I've seen other manuals state that the compound should go all the way around the "fence".
I apply it on the fence/channel, then slide the rubber gasket into place, holding it still with strips of tape. Another in consistency that I have read is where to start with the window. I've read to shove it UP into the upper channel first and work your way down, but I've also read to get the bottom set first and work your way up.
We had liquid butyl for sealing the rubber to the body. That and bedding-compound were to keep it from leaking. We also used to "rope" rubber-set windshields in the gaskets... into a car. Did lots of them back in the 80's. Butyl ribbons are for setting glass into later cars without gaskets. We still sealed the tops with liquid butyl.

A piece of butyl-tape, is great for cleaning up any liquid butyl that gets on stuff. Works like a magnet.

Last edited:
Some older cars you would put the rubber on the windshield and pull the rubber into the frame. I did my old 50's cars like that. If they have a lock strip the rubber goes on the car.

-
Back