e-brake cable and driveshaft

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
So I put my driveshaft in and it looks like it is supposed to go under the ebrake cable, but the cable rubs the driveshaft the whole time I am driving the car. Do the shafts go over or under the ebrake cable? I think my dual exhaust might be getting in the way also. BTW the car is a 65 barracuda with a v8 if that matters.

I figure it would go over the cable...

I am gonna try that tonight when I get home. It has been a while since I took it out the 1st time, I guess I just dont remember how it was. I was on the shake down cruise with the new motor..It ran really good, just that constant sound of the cable and the shaft rubbing drove me crazy. I wonder how things will be when I get my 8 3/4 put in. The drive shaft will have more of an angle I would imagine. Probably gonna cause me some grief!

I'll be watch'in this post, I have not put mine back in yet with my Dana 60, also have the x-pipe to contend with.

On a factory setup, the driveshaft is above the E-brake equalizer cable. When I put my race car together, I had to modify the floor guides a bit to get the right clearence for driveshaft, dual exhaust, and frame connectors. I've seen many early A's with raised rear ends that had rubbing problems but if the ride height is correct there is plenty of clearance.

It turns out I had the shaft in the right spot, it was the dual exhaust that was pressing the cable into the driveshaft. I loosened up the exhaust and turned the pipes slightly to relieve the pressure on the cable. Now there is about 1/4" clearance between the d shaft and the brake cable with the car sitting on its wheels. The cable is still riding on the exhaust. I guess when the car bounces up, due to bad roads, I might hear a little rubbing, but for the most part, I think I have solved the problem. We all know these early a's weren't made for dual exhaust. Just gotta live with it.

I am gonna try that tonight when I get home. It has been a while since I took it out the 1st time, I guess I just dont remember how it was. I was on the shake down cruise with the new motor..It ran really good, just that constant sound of the cable and the shaft rubbing drove me crazy. I wonder how things will be when I get my 8 3/4 put in. The drive shaft will have more of an angle I would imagine. Probably gonna cause me some grief!

Here is the ending of the "shake down" cruise yesterday....Clogged gas tank vent was the culprit....

Attachments

• 2011-07-26 15.10.44.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 94
-
Back