E85 Compatible Mech Fuel Pump?

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
All,

Do I need a E85 compatible fuel pump? I have a Carter 80 lph on there now. I developed a leak on the fuel line inlet using a worm clamp. The hose end seemed kind of gnarled up. Before I go any farther, I wanted to see what you are using and if a standard pump will suffice.

Thanks,

Marion

All,

Do I need a E85 compatible fuel pump? I have a Carter 80 lph on there now. I developed a leak on the fuel line inlet using a worm clamp. The hose end seemed kind of gnarled up. Before I go any farther, I wanted to see what you are using and if a standard pump will suffice.

Thanks,

Marion

Crickets, so I'll try. FWIW I have been using fuel with 10% ethanol in it. I'm using a stock Carter fuel pump that is about 10 years old with no issues. It's not a daily driver though, just sees nice Canadian weather.

*EDIT*
Oh, need to add, I have replaced any sections of rubber fuel line with with ethanol use approved hose. Carburetors, pump and fuel tank all still stock up to this point with no issues.

From what I read if using E85 you should do an upgrade. Here's a link for you to decide: Everything You Need to Know About E85 The link talks about a corvette but should apply to other high performance applications.

Last edited:
80 lph is roughly 21 gph. Enough to supply about 350hp. With e85 you’ll need about 35-40% more volume for the same hp. So now your 80lph pump can supply enough e85 for about 230hp. Just something to think about. I’m not even sure anyone makes an aftermarket e85 mechanical pump that will flow enough fuel to make a good amount of hp.

All,

I picked up a 120 gph/ 454 lph 6.5/9.5 psi Carter Super Strip Mech fuel pump and going to 3/8 fuel line. This feeds my FiTech Sump that has a 340 lph pump that feeds the TB. This outta support my 425 hp.

Turns out my Carter 80 gph pump w/ 1500 miles is leaking not the fuel line out of the top!

Thanks,
Marion

Last edited:
-
Back