Early 6 cyl. 904 to a 71 6 cyl. 904??

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m new with the early a 6 cyl. tranny,so what fits?Are all 6 cyl. 904,s the same?Can I just swap with no issues??Thanks for any help!

How early do you mean? If its a 904, and not the earlier TorqueFlite6, it'll bolt to any slant 6.

Check the torque convertor spline.

Early cars had a different spline than IIRC67 or 68 and later.

You need a convertor that is compatible.

No. All 904 trannies are not the same. The starter mount on the /6 904 is towards the top of the bell housing than the V-8, hence the designation 904G. For the LA motor, you need to find a 904A transmission. The starter mount on the 904A is low on the driver's side.

There appears to be no difference on the transmission input shafts from 67 through 76. Sorry, my books don't cover the earlier years for that information.

Seems to me that crackedback is right. If you have the converter that came with the transmission and it bolts to your flex plate, you should be good to go.

The kickdown linkages may be different. Somewhere along the way, Ma Mopar changed from rod to cable operated throttles. This may or may not affect the kickdown linkage. Don't know if the 66 used a rod on the /6, but it used a cable on the V-8s for the throttle. Also, the late Super 6 cars used a 2 bbl carburetor. The throttle linkage and kickdown linkages for these cars are different than the 1 bbl cars

-
Back