Early A Formula "S" Tach Can Location and Wiring Help Needed

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here. I need your help with a project I am working on for my blue 66 Cuda. I have the correct factory tach, sending unit sardine can and wiring harness that I would like to get hooked up. Problem is, I don't know where the factory location was for the sardine can. I thought it was mounted under the drivers side kick panel, but when I took off the kick, there just isn't any room under there to mount it.

I know this may be a longshot, but can someone who is working on an early A Formula "S" car possibly get me a location for the can, or better yet a picture of one mounted?? I would also like to get an idea of where the 12v power plug is hooked to!! I have the R/T Engineering electronic conversion and I don't want to take any chances of frying it out!!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer up, this is a project I'm trying to get done thats LOOOOOONG overdue!! Geof

Subscribed as I need to do this to my 65 Barracuda as well.

can ya give us some pic's of the sardine can and the tach?..I'm gonna pull the dash from the 65 cuda s with factory tach and nothing special under the kick panel so its gotta be under the dash and some wierd canister on the side of the distributor about an inch long about as round as a quarter???

OK Waggs, heres a couple pics of the tach in the dash, and the front of the can with the wiring and the rear of the can with the R/T unit installed. The can measures 4" round and 1" deep!!

The can is the same can also used for the early B body cars, but on those cars was mounted under the console where the tach was located!! Thanks for any input you can provide!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_3947.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_3948.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_3949.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 134
Wow That alternator sure charges good even with the car off....i'll take a peek under my dash and find that can thingieamajiggie

ok.... I had heard they were under the kick panel also....not true....above the drivers side kick panelgrabbed some pic's of it on my 65 formulas s rust bucket to show it's location and then grabbed a pic of Saara...my 65 signet with the dash removed so ya can see better....i did all this at 10:27 p.m. just for you...........lol.......Wagg's

Attachments

• 65 cuda tach 001.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 65 cuda tach 002.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 65 cuda tach 004.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 141
Yayyyy!! Waggs to the rescue again!! Thanks Curtis!! I had a look up there when I was pondering where it might mount and that spot looked mighty suspicious, now it's confirmed!! Many thanks again!! Geof

Yea, the guages all need some lovin'!! I'm going to change out the cluster for another I have with the 150 speedo and tach and redo this one!!

-
Back