Early A shorty headers

-

prrc

Reaction score
Anyone know of a shorty header that will fit the earlys A's with a small bloack and power steering?

The only one like that would be spitfire headders, and you occasionally see them for sale here.

spitfires fit power steering? Unless you got a hot 273, headers wont make much difference, especially for the price/hassle they give. 340 logs are cheaper than new headers, and magnum's are under 100 and flow great if you can get them to fit. I hear they do, I hear they dont, but anything can be MADE to fit....

You know, I'm not entirely sure if they fit with power steering..

Don't want the split fires. 360 motor autocross car. Trying to stay away from under chassis headers. What about 340 manifolds? Will thay work?

Don't want the split fires. 360 motor autocross car. Trying to stay away from under chassis headers. What about 340 manifolds? Will thay work?

The left side will not clear the power steering gearbox. I had a set a few years ago and found 340 hi-po`s dont clear it.

There is a couple of threads on the magnum headers. From my understanding the passenger side is to wide. I talked to Sanderson today and they tell me there DD7 shorty headers fit. Has anyone tried these on an early A ?
Has anyone tried Magnum V8 headers?

Magnum shorty headers just plain don't fit on either side.

If it were me, I'd take this opportunity to launch the power steering...

Since its for autox power steering has an advantage.

Since when are spit-fires an underchassis header? Not on my small block '65. Some center dump shorties can be modified to work. There were a couple of threads on here some time ago on this subject.....
Bob

There not. Just not to my liking. And dont really want an under chassis header. T bars are to large to clear header collector
Since when are spit-fires an underchassis header? Not on my small block '65. Some center dump shorties can be modified to work. There were a couple of threads on here some time ago on this subject.....
Bob

Look into Magnum logs, seriously. Seen them on a 65 - didnt ask what he did to make them fit. Center dumps cant fit the driver side, have you seen where the steering box is? Dakota headers are really wide..340's fit my power steering 340 '65 years ago, dont know how, bought it like that and never took them out to find out.

I had the shorty tri y's from layson restoration on my 64 barracuda and hated them. $525 uncoated and the fitment wasn't that great. The collector pointed right at the torsion bars. Not sure in they would fit power steering cars. Try dougs headers. But pricey last I checked $850 for ceramic coated full length. Oh and the magnum manifolds didn't fit either. Even after shiming the motor up 1/4"

Those are the ones Sanderson says fit the ealy A's . May be my only option

Talked to Dougs a couple of days ago. They tell me the collector will hit that large of a T bar. So there out.
I had the shorty tri y's from layson restoration on my 64 barracuda and hated them. $525 uncoated and the fitment wasn't that great. The collector pointed right at the torsion bars. Not sure in they would fit power steering cars. Try dougs headers. But pricey last I checked $850 for ceramic coated full length. Oh and the magnum manifolds didn't fit either. Even after shiming the motor up 1/4"

A friend ordered the Sanderson headers because they told him they'd fit his 66 Dart. When he got them he prepared to install them but found there was no way they would work. He had to argue to be able to send them back. Turns out the design fits only the wider a-bodies but Sanderson insisted they SHOULD fit his car. He got them returned and put stock manifolds back on. I never actually saw the headers but know he was capable of, and would have installed them if they would fit. He was really bummed and is currently getting ready to build his own and/or looking for a set of used Spitfires.

Good to know. Thanks
A friend ordered the Sanderson headers because they told him they'd fit his 66 Dart. When he got them he prepared to install them but found there was no way they would work. He had to argue to be able to send them back. Turns out the design fits only the wider a-bodies but Sanderson insisted they SHOULD fit his car. He got them returned and put stock manifolds back on. I never actually saw the headers but know he was capable of, and would have installed them if they would fit. He was really bummed and is currently getting ready to build his own and/or looking for a set of used Spitfires.

I guess I should have finnished reading before I posted. I guess I'm back to the build my own plan again. By the time I get that far there may be somthing out there though.

Well this really suck. Looks like the only thing that will work is the 273 manifolds. they are just to small to have any kind of flow. Besides the outlet is only 1 3/4. What to do from here? Maybe build a set that fits and start selling them myself.

Fenderwell headers would be an option if they didn't interfer with turning on a 8" wide wheel. My understanding is they have 2 tubes that come inside the wheel well to far. and cut down on turning radius. I'm woild love to see some pictures of the fenderwell headers from the wheel well

prrc, I have a driver side 273 manifold from a 64 Barracuda if you can't come up with anything..$50 bucks and what ever shipping is..

-
Back