Early Hemi swap into my 1973 scamp??

-

440scamp

Reaction score
does anyone know if this swap has been done and how much work is it? any help at all is great.........Thanks the motor is a 354 Hemi

Yes, it has been done. And it looked awesome.

There was a site that a guy dedicated to dropping a 354 into his 67-69 (can't remember which year exactly) Barracuda. The fitment was fine and he felt the 354 was the motor to use.

Of course, a hemi into an A-Body is the ultimate of ultimate's but a 354 weighs 700+ pounds (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), and you could build a 360 that would make equal or more power and have 150+ pounds shaved off the front end (thats with Cast Iron heads too).

Depends upon what you want though; I would like to see you do it, it would be kick ***. I would be very tempted to do it myself if I had a 354 laying around :-D

Good luck,
Tyson

I have installed early Hemi's in different bodys, but not in any A body. The heads are very wide,but the exhaust ports exit down,you will have to hand fabricate headers and steering shaft/u-joints.There are some good trans adapters available,but not cheap,to convert to a-block 727 and it is possible to get a Lakewood scattershield with dual drillings (big &small block patterns) that can be used with spacers to deal with the extra crank length of the early motor. Ambitious swap,but way cool when done.Hemi Al

i hate to say this cause i was gung hoe about putting a 392 early hemi in my 64 dart but once i had the motor and added up all the costs of rebuilding the 392, building a trans to handle the power building the mounts and headers and lots of other misc crap i was going to be like 12,000 into it and honestly for that kinda money you can swap in a 5.7 hemi that would be more reliable make more power and be a whole lot easier to put in

sorry just .02 either way good luck and if you do,do the early hemi i want pics :poke:

I haven't done a 354, but I've got a running 246 hemi, was going to buy a beat A body to put it into. Haven't done that idea yet. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't. DO IT!

I don't think I'd consider doing a Chrysler hemi, but I did think about it when I had my Dodge 325 (smaller and lighter). I sold the hemi to help fund my Barracuda convertible and will be dropping a 440 into it just because it's so easy to do.

-
Back