Easiest way to add power brakes 1965 Barracuda

-

Ooh barracuda

Reaction score
I am looking to add power brakes to my 1965 Barracuda, I actually like the single res Master Cyl and only want to add power booster. Is there an easy way to do this without changing the entire braking system?
THANKS

Spending a lot of time and money to add power brakes while keeping a single system is ..........well.......... If I tell you what I really think "that is" you really won't like it much.

The other thing is, not knowing how you drive and how much power you use up, the whole deal is, once you "fade" those little tiny 9" factory brakes, power is not gonna help much.

Is your life or that of your wife worth keeping a single reservoir master cylinder? Switch it! Ma Mopar did this for a reason - safety!

BTW, if 67dart273 says it, you'd better believe it!

Its not a matter of believing anyone..... I want to keep the MC I have and add power .... Has anyone else done this?

It isn't easy to find an original 4-bolt booster, but if you can that would be easiest, though perhaps not cheapest. Harder still, is to find the "stand-off brackets" for an A-body. Once you have those, you can mount many booster/MC's. I put one from a 95-99 Breeze on my 65 Dart (see Avatar), with slight rat-tail filing of the mounting holes. That was easy and cheapest for me.

Easiest (if you include seaching time), would be to buy the $170 brackets-booster-MC on ebay. It uses a GM booster, but connects to your pedal. That gives you a dual reservoir MC. If you insist on using your single MC, try a 2-4 bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay), but those are designed to go the other way (mount newer 2-bolt MC to old 4-bolt booster or firewall).

If you do go to a dual system (like most here), many (like me) re-use the distribution block, by plugging the rear tube's port and using a 1/4 to 3/16" flare adapter (Autozone) in the top port. Get the correct adapters. Don't screw a 3/16" tube directly into that top port (even though you can find nuts that fit). BTW, the dual system was a fed mandate. For those that insist on a dual system, why stop there? Go to the current "X system" (RF-LR, LF-RR), but it is quite a plumbing job.

Don't believe the claims that 9" brakes can't stop your car safely. If they can lock up the tires, no brakes can do more. Their deficit is that they don't cool off fast, so repeated braking can quickly overheat them and cause fade. That is why the fed's mandated front disks. Too many Floridians were riding the brakes in the NC mountains and running over the side. People who know how to drive (rare today) don't do that. Drum brakes are also touchier to any gunk on the shoes, giving unequal braking. But, that isn't a problem if well-maintained. Many here change from neglected drums to new disks and notice a great improvement, which shouldn't amaze anyone.

So I have a 64 with power drum brakes, there ok. I just bought the Ram Man disk brake conversion for the early. Basically when I get done it will be a 65/66 disk brake car, with 76 dart calipers. I thought going Kelsey Hayes but there is more contact surface with the Dart.

I will post pictures as I go.

-
Back