Eastwood Paints

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

Can any one provide some guidance on using the Eastwood paint product line. I have watched a few of their YouTube videos, and their products seem to go on well. What is their sequence on bare metal, as I would guess primer sealer, primer surfacer, primer sealer again, single stage paint? Do I clear coat? Has anyone gone this route? Am I right in the sequence? What is the total cost on a standard single color paint job? I am thinking of using their products on my next project, and I would like some reviews from any members who have used their products. I see their prices are affordable. Thanks. Old Dart 66

I can't speak for the Eastwood paints, but I used PPG shopline paints when redoing my Dart. I am a very rookie painter and used their paints and primers. A buddy who does body work for a living painted the exterior using shopline. The parts that I painted along with the trunk lid on my cuda turned out great. Easy to use and mix. The prices were very reasonable also. There also is a shopline plus that is a little better quality. If you have a paint store local to you, you may want to check these out. I used the base/clear. Awesome way to paint and get a nice shine. I used epoxy etch, then surfacer, then base and finally clear. I can get you paint numbers if you need. They are hanging in the shop.

I can't speak for the Eastwood paints, but I used PPG shopline paints when redoing my Dart. I am a very rookie painter and used their paints and primers. A buddy who does body work for a living painted the exterior using shopline. The parts that I painted along with the trunk lid on my cuda turned out great. Easy to use and mix. The prices were very reasonable also. There also is a shopline plus that is a little better quality. If you have a paint store local to you, you may want to check these out. I used the base/clear. Awesome way to paint and get a nice shine. I used epoxy etch, then surfacer, then base and finally clear. I can get you paint numbers if you need. They are hanging in the shop.

Thanks, I have been using PPG top of the line, and those products spray out and lay down just plain GREAT. I am familiar with their OMNI line. Now, the PPG reps recommendations are a primer sealer over the bare metal followed by the surfacer, sealer, basecoat, then clear coat, and, indeed, it works very nicely, but with a nice price! No complaints on the product, though. Looking at Eastwood prices, the cost would be "affordable" for a part-timer. I know that you get what you pay for, and I have been told that Eastwood's paints are a different brand, just repackaged or relabled, but I do not know that for a fact or what company manufactures their paint line. Anyway, the price is right in doing a whole car job. Just asking, and just curious if anyone has used them on a complete job. Thanks, Old Dart 66

Boulevard black Eastwood on my Cuda, first I used Epoxy primer, urethane primers, then the black base then clear. Im by no means an expert painter so I called and asked Eastwood for help several times, they were excellent to work with. Im certain all the imperfections in my paint job are operator error and not the paint. I will use Eastwood for my next paint job without hesitation.

Boulevard black Eastwood on my Cuda, first I used Epoxy primer, urethane primers, then the black base then clear. Im by no means an expert painter so I called and asked Eastwood for help several times, they were excellent to work with. Im certain all the imperfections in my paint job are operator error and not the paint. I will use Eastwood for my next paint job without hesitation.
Thank you, That is the information that i wanted to hear. If they can help with advice on their products. I appreciate your response and your time. Old Dart 66

Single Stage paint does not get a clear coat. If you decide to add clear coat to it, you generally need to use an integrated clear which is designed for that purpose if you want to do "wet on wet" application. Otherwise, you need to wait a day or two, wet sand the fresh single stage and then shoot the clear over it. On another note, if you are using single stage, what color are you planning on shooting? If it is metallic, I would recommend going with a base coat clear coat instead of single stage. It takes some practice to shoot metallic single stage and get it right. Base/Clear is a lot more forgiving

Single Stage paint does not get a clear coat. If you decide to add clear coat to it, you generally need to use an integrated clear which is designed for that purpose if you want to do "wet on wet" application. Otherwise, you need to wait a day or two, wet sand the fresh single stage and then shoot the clear over it. On another note, if you are using single stage, what color are you planning on shooting? If it is metallic, I would recommend going with a base coat clear coat instead of single stage. It takes some practice to shoot metallic single stage and get it right. Base/Clear is a lot more forgiving
Hey Gary. Thank you for the input as I have always used the base coat clear coat in my retired years painting. Back in the eighties, I painted a few cars and trucks where I used a lacquer base, wet sanded it dull, then shot a clear product over it. Going way back, in the late 60s and early 70s, I sanded/scuffed the car's paint surface, masked it, the shot the color on. Now, regarding terminology, I think what a single stage paint is what we did in the 70s, but, i am sure that the product has changed. No metallic for my jobs as I am sticking with the traditional appearance of the early a mopars....pre-67; however, the basecoat clearcot would be my preferred approach now that I understand the difference. I am looking for a more affordable paint process than what i have been using. My last job cost over $3K, but i know that you get what you pay for. The product i have been using is absolutely great, bu i just cant afford it anymore, but want to continue my retirement car hobby. I have been told that Eastwood products are cost effective, hold up well, and are much less expensive. Just asking about what other members think of their products. Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated. Old Dart 66

I have used their paints a couple of times and found their base coat to be pretty good although it covers decent but not necessarily great. shot this car with it and the customer was ecstatic. Even ended up in the "reader's rides" section of Mopar Enthusiast magazine

IMG_3213.jpg

complete pic 4.jpg

Thanks, I have been using PPG top of the line, and those products spray out and lay down just plain GREAT. I am familiar with their OMNI line. Now, the PPG reps recommendations are a primer sealer over the bare metal followed by the surfacer, sealer, basecoat, then clear coat, and, indeed, it works very nicely, but with a nice price! No complaints on the product, though. Looking at Eastwood prices, the cost would be "affordable" for a part-timer. I know that you get what you pay for, and I have been told that Eastwood's paints are a different brand, just repackaged or relabled, but I do not know that for a fact or what company manufactures their paint line. Anyway, the price is right in doing a whole car job. Just asking, and just curious if anyone has used them on a complete job. Thanks, Old Dart 66
The general consensus is that Eastwood (and summit) paint is rebranded Kirker paint. I'm pretty sure that Eastwood is just a retailer and manufactures nothing. I've used many of their products and have been to their shop a few times. All in all, I've been happy with their products and they are a great company to deal with.

The general consensus is that Eastwood (and summit) paint is rebranded Kirker paint. I'm pretty sure that Eastwood is just a retailer and manufactures nothing. I've used many of their products and have been to their shop a few times. All in all, I've been happy with their products and they are a great company to deal with.
Thank you for your time. I have been considering what to do on this for some time. I know that the quality of the paint is a strong issue, but it's the prep that is possibly, more important. It is hard to change from a proven product, as I have been using what I've been using for some time, but the time has come. That is what I was looking for is someone who has used the product and is happy with it. Appreciate your time. Old Dart 66

-
Back