Easy to replace front seal on 904?

-

tbrikner

73Custom
Reaction score
Hey everyone-
Need some advice from those who know transmissions more than me. We are going to pull the 318 on my 73 Dart for a rebuild. I ordered a front pump seal kit- gasket, O-ring, and pump seal from something I read. Is this easy to do with the trans in the car or does the tranny need to come out? Its not leaking or having any problems now so maybe if its too much trouble just leave it alone?
Its a 904.

Thanks

trans has to come out to change out the front seal ...the o-ring is for went the pump is Removed and Replaced.

old saying...if it is not broken ..dont fix it...

trans has to come out to change out the front seal ...the o-ring is for went the pump is Removed and Replaced.

CURIOUS....if the engine is already away from it and he has access to the entire inside of the bell housing...why does he have to remove the trans?.... everything he needs to get at is already exposed.

The ONLY reason I can see that YOU MIGHT want to remove it is when you torque everything back in...it may be a lil difficult to keep the trans in a fixed position while torquin it down...that is a lil easier on a stand...but it can be done in place just as well...just takes a lil more time to bind everything up so it does not move

If it's not leaking and you leave the converter in place, I'd leave it alone.

If the engine's out and you got the seal, pull the converter out and pop the new seal in. It's a no brainer.

Ok..the trans does not have to come out of the car....put...went you pull the pump out..,,,the clutch pac must not move....if it moves forward and disengages one of the disc then went you put the pump back in it will bind...

once you get the pump back in ....make sure the input shaft will still turn....

Thanks for all the great info and replies guys. I think at this point I will just leave it alone since it wasnt leaking and trans was working good. I will have enough to worry about with new engine start-up and cam break-in. I also have a bit of a clunk when I shift into reverse so will check the u-joints later.

Ok..the trans does not have to come out of the car....put...went you pull the pump out..,,,the clutch pac must not move....if it moves forward and disengages one of the disc then went you put the pump back in it will bind...

once you get the pump back in ....make sure the input shaft will still turn....

.................If u can change the pump with the trans in the car u must be a magician........kim............

-
Back