Ebay Rear Disc Conversion

-
I did the kit. It came out well. I ended up using my existing e-brake cables. Kit uses caliper and rotor that are from GM and Lincoln; if I remember correct. I attached some pictures.
Andy

Attachments

• Rear Disc Brakes (A).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 402
  • Rear Disc Brakes (B).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 407
  • Rear Disc Brakes (C).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 399
  • Rear Disc Brakes (D).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 410
  • Rear Disc Brakes (E).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 399
  • Rear Disc Brakes (F).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 402
Thanks for the feedback and the great pics. Looks like a clean install.
Looking at your pictures it appears those adapters may pull the axel out a 1/4" or more. Is that the case? Thank!

I have the same kit..Mocked up very nice.

Can't wait to put them on the car for good.

Those adaptor plates look a lot like the Scarebird units . and with akrateffil says he used GM or Ford calipers I bet they are. I would check out Http://scarebird.com as you could save some money

Def not Scarebirds. I run those on the front.

I received the install guide. Seems very straight forward. It does require you to set the parking brake each time you park to keep the calipers adjusted. Apparently a requirement for the GM calipers that are used.

Thanks for the feedback and the great pics. Looks like a clean install.
Looking at your pictures it appears those adapters may pull the axel out a 1/4" or more. Is that the case? Thank!

I don't think it pulled the axles out 1/4", but I'm drawing a blank on how the axles are bolted in - a lot of life has happened since I did the job. If I remember correct the "c" shaped bracket sandwiches the bearing into the axle housing.

Man that looks pretty badass and at a very decent price too AND a parking brake to boot. I have Willwood disk all the way around and of course NO parking brake so the only way around the no park brake is Antique tags, no saftey inspection required then, dont really need one in Texas but nice to have. I wouldnt hesitate to go this route !!

Whats the point? Just asking......other than a 10 minute brake pad job. What would make it all that better would be to use 5 on 4.5 rotors and redrill them with a 5 on 4 pattern. Increase your customer base 40%...

These are the docs I received from the Ebay seller. Looks like the axel retaining plate is sandwiched between two of the brackets so it is NOT pulled out and apparently sits at the normal location as the first bracket replaces the normal drum backing plate.....does that make sense?

Attachments

• BrakeInstructions5.pdf
    300.3 KB · Views: 116
  • BrakeInstructions4.pdf
    422.3 KB · Views: 108
  • BrakeInstructions3.pdf
    368.3 KB · Views: 113
  • BrakeInstructions2.pdf
    320.5 KB · Views: 126
  • BrakeInstructions1.pdf
    377.4 KB · Views: 125
That's a good price. I'm looking at 289 to redo my factory 9 inch drums...hmm may have to rethink this

I think you have to go to green axle bearings for this to work. The preload adjuster will be in the way.

I used green bearings with that same kit. nice kit, the only problem is with the park brake adjustment on the gm calipers. got to use the park brake to keep them adjusted one side works as designed the other side needs manual help at times on my car. maybe it's just mine.

Attachments

• DSCN0215.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 186
I have the same kit for a year now. well built and thick pieces cadillac caliper and firebird disc. these caliper are built too have the parking brake set on each time your park,each time you do it adjust the brakes too keep it tight!

I run 11,75 in front and these 11" back with 15 inch wheel. my only complaint is the pad compound is very soft for my taste.I changed for some hawk pad front and rear, and the car stop like any modern car and better.

Whats the point? Just asking......other than a 10 minute brake pad job. What would make it all that better would be to use 5 on 4.5 rotors and redrill them with a 5 on 4 pattern. Increase your customer base 40%...

I think that if you don't already have all of the drum brake hardware for your rearend, a kit like this is a bargain. Backing plates, drums, hardware, parking brake struts, pads, etc add up quick. And that's 10.5" drums. 11" is even worse.

on a performance build they work a lot better then drum brakes. I yet to have brake fade.

Yeah, my point was that fronts do 70-80% of braking anyway so I wouldnt think rear drums would ever start to fade but I dont autocross either. All I know is that front drums suck, went through a deep puddle slowly coming out of a parking lot and had NO brakes for about 10 feet. Scary as hell. The entire package on a bare rear end now makes economic sense to me after having to source all the drum brake parts. Would still have to be 5 on 4 for many with the older K/H SBP fronts though...

-
Back