Effect of more power on Torque Convertor.

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
74 Plymouth Duster
Full street weight (I guess I should actually weigh it but it's heavy)
360/A-500/8.75 with 4.10sg/275-60-15 Drag radials
Torque convertor currently flashes to 2600 on take off. It is a modified stock lock up convertor.

If I drastically increase power output of the motor (say add 100+hp) and leave all else equal will the convertor flash higher? I am building a different 360 this winter and I am wondering if while it's out, maybe I should be looking for a different convertor.

Cley

100 HP may get you another 500 stall.

The issue is 2600 is barely enough for a stock deal.

I think 3500 should be the BOTTOM for most any decent street car, and if you are shifting at 6500 or so 4200 would be better.

Converters are way better than they used to be.

Call a converter manufacturer and give them every detail of your build, and preferably dyno sheets and let them pick the converter.

If it's less than 3500 I'd hang up and call someone else.

2600 is a stock high stall converter. Adding another 100 HP won't get you "much". YR is probably right on the money. You'll need more converter.

Do not buy a convertor until you get the engine combo sorted out.
Typically when 100 hp is worked into a short stroke, it's usually in the upper rpm's, low end torque suffers.

Ok. So once i finalize my engine combo I guess I'll look for a high stall lock up converter. Who is the best? Who to avoid? Loaded questions I know!

Cley

PTC, Dynamic or Ultimate are the top of the Heap. Precision of New Hampton say they are the best in the business. They have a great video on their product. It was somewhere on this site awhile back. I think it was a YouTube video. Kim

-
Back