EFI differences on the Magnum???

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the EFI on a 5.9 91-95 vs. the EFI on a 5.9 1999?

All i can this is that after 96 the ecu controlled the auto trans.
TPS, Dissy, Crank Trigger, injectors, alt, and oil pressure sensor. should all be the same? Right??

Just looking for some clarity on this.

I have a 99 5.9 with all the accessories except the harness and ecu
I want to run the efi and use 393foureyedfox's harness but he says it only works with the
91-95 setups.
I have looked and can't find any differences other that the trans control change.

So the next big question is can I use his harness and a 91-95 ecu with my 99 parts?
any and all input it is welcome....
Thanks.

It's a totally different system.

The 96 and newer has far better control. I believe the actual connectors changed on all the sensors, too.

Is there any difference between the EFI on a 5.9 91-95 vs. the EFI on a 5.9 1999?

TPS, Dissy, Crank Trigger, injectors, alt, and oil pressure sensor. should all be the same? Right??

Just looking for some clarity on this.

I have a 99 5.9 with all the accessories except the harness and ecu
I want to run the efi and use 393foureyedfox's harness but he says it only works with the
91-95 setups.
I have looked and can't find any differences other that the trans control change.

So the next big question is can I use his harness and a 91-95 ecu with my 99 parts?
any and all input it is welcome....
Thanks.
I seem to remember they are different systems with different types of PCMs. There were also changes to the engine sensors and cam sensor operation. Even swapping engines between different systems will cause problems due to different locations of the holes in the cam pulleys that the sensors read. This screws up the cam to crank timing signal correlation and the engine will not run.

yes, just change the sensors that do not plug in to ones that do ;-). the early years up to 95? have EGR so you will need to plug that or swap your manifold that does. I would keep EGR if your going to use the ECU that has EGR already. (though i dont recall why exactly ;-) 99 or so they changed injectors to RED with oval connector might have been 21lb vs 19lb injectors iirc, but you can keep the ones you have. Use the injector size that your ECU wants.. Also early <93 where return and regulated PSI on the fuel rail with vacuum. Again, if you keep all your original truck sensors and wiring everything will work. I used ford 4 hole injectors from a crownvic for a direct swap and bit better MPG.

EDIT found my post on Ramchargercentral in 2005... iirc i used a 5.9 with the one piece harmonic balancer so it may have been a 1999 or 2000?

trojmn said:
5.2 and 5.9 Mag motors are only different in the shortblock and computer. Heads, MPI, and intake are exactly the same. The throttle bodies use the same AIS, TPS, and MAP sensors for a number of years until they changed the connectors slightly. If it fits and plugs in then that's what you need. Same for fuel injectors. If your looking to by new or new to you ones look for Bosch style square connector, high impedence injectors 19-22lb/hr made by anybody. Fuel inj are all square connector bosch style deisgn II high impedence. 92-94 ish (yellow) Mag V8's (maybe v6 too) used 19lb injectors. They're yellow for quick ID. Google the PN. I currently am running Bosch design III style Ford Injectors.

All you need for your swap is a properly ballanced TQ or flexplate and computer. You don't even need a 5.9 computer right away. The 5.2 computer will run 5.9 decent in a pinch. Do yourself a favor and dont break the crank sensor off when you drop the new motor in! ;-)

Last edited:
I seem to remember they are different systems with different types of PCMs. There were also changes to the engine sensors and cam sensor operation. Even swapping engines between different systems will cause problems due to different locations of the holes in the cam pulleys that the sensors read. This screws up the cam to crank timing signal correlation and the engine will not run.

I think this is inaccurate. There aren't any cam sensors related to the cam pulley (which the motor doesn't even have). The cam sensor is in the distributor. There are no changes relative to the block or engine assembly. Just the cam sensor in the distributor, and the crank sensor at the tc/flywheel.

I believe the motors can swap between the systems just fine.

I think this is inaccurate. There aren't any cam sensors related to the cam pulley (which the motor doesn't even have). The cam sensor is in the distributor. There are no changes relative to the block or engine assembly. Just the cam sensor in the distributor, and the crank sensor at the tc/flywheel.

I believe the motors can swap between the systems just fine.
You are right. I was thinking of a later generation control system.

You are right. I was thinking of a later generation control system.

I used a ECM from a 5-speed Dodge truck with a 5.9. I swapped out the injector conectors with the newer USAC(if I remember correctly) ones and run 49lbs Ford racing injectors. The rest of the plug-ins are from a 2000 Durango.

I bought an SCT Tuner and paid for a tuner to build me reflash files to drastically improve the performance of the system. It's as plug & play as EFI comes. Fully upgradeable and tunable too. Way better than Magasquirt in my book.

-
Back