EFI..Was it worth it??

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
For thoes who have switched to efi conversion...was it worth it? especially you fitech users.

I went full tilt to multiport sequential EFI with coil near plug, running a Megasquirt 3 Pro.

It was so worth it. The car runs so much better everywhere...and I had a very, very good tune on the 750 double pumper I had.

It went from being nearly undriveable before it warmed up when it was below 50F to being able to drive it just like a new car.

I think I get a little extra due to the individual injectors since it's sequential and has extremely fine control. Also, I can tune literally everything, which I have tweaked a few things with good results. The FItech is probably a decent solution but it will likely leave a little amount on the table.

For me it was. I'm all about "back yard" "low budget" and started playing with an old Holley Pro-jection system off CL for 75 bucks. Right after that, I found a Commander 950 TBI system for 375. Later I upgraded that system to the Holley HP ECU

I considered Megasquirt, and if I live long enough to get the Dart back together, I may play with a Megasquirt "just because."

The problems with older systems, including the Holley 950 and MS, is that they are not "self learning." The newer Holley stuff is, and the software you can get for the newer MS "makes" them self learning, at least my understanding.

The problems with older systems, including the Holley 950 and MS, is that they are not "self learning." The newer Holley stuff is, and the software you can get for the newer MS "makes" them self learning, at least my understanding.

Yes, the software that goes with all Megasquirts sold now "Tunerstudio" has an autotune feature, where it will autotune when the laptop is hooked up. This is so long as you have the full version. I think most of the ECUs are sold with the full version included.

It works well to get it close. Then for optimal results, you need to go back, smooth it a bit (it won't get everything) and then probably run some datalogging and use that to adjust. Once you get it feeling right you turn on the feedback control and it will run like a new car.

Totally amazing that I can fix pretty much every possible driveability problem in seconds.

MS also has a really great support forum.

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on fitech. Just out of stock on what I want currently

Goldduster318, is tunerstudio still charging for the autotune? I was pissed to find I had to get a $70 subscription or something for the autotune feature to work. That was the whole reason I went to the MS2 daughterboard. Cruising down the road is the same with a carb, starting it up in -20 and actually driving it cold is probably worth it.

I just finished putting on the Fitech 30002 and the fuel center on my 87 Ramcharger daily driver this weekend. It was easy install but I unfortunately my hand held controller was not working properly, I called Fitech and they gave me a fix over the phone so I got it programmed and got it running. I have been driving it for a few days so far and it runs better than it ever has before. It is a stock 360 with headers on it. It has so much more power going up hills and coming off the line, I think if I tried I could spin the tires. It is -14 c here tonite so I will see how It starts in the morning. I have sent the hand held back to Fitech so I can not do anymore tuning till I get it back so it is working on self learn for now. I do want to hook up my timing when I get it back. So is it worth it? I`ll have to get back to you on that in a few weeks but for now I`m happy I think.

i have a carb engine and sick of getting fuel all over my hands to change jets on 2 carbs to race. efi i punch a few buttons and im done and can enjoy a burger from the grill in the same time and relax.
holley efi is so user friendly if you know the basics of efi and what it does.

Goldduster318, is tunerstudio still charging for the autotune? I was pissed to find I had to get a $70 subscription or something for the autotune feature to work. That was the whole reason I went to the MS2 daughterboard. Cruising down the road is the same with a carb, starting it up in -20 and actually driving it cold is probably worth it.

The full version came with my megasquirt 3 pro. It's a one time license fee that covers at least two computers. Otherwise it's $60 for the "registered version"

Considering you can run one of these engines well enough for most people (but not coil near plug or SEFI) on a Microsquirt that's $339...I don't think spending another $60 if it doesn't come with the full version is too bad.

I've got the full tilt $1200 version but it's very user friendly...wiring is by far the hardest part of the install....and even that isn't so bad, just tedious.

For thoes who have switched to efi conversion...was it worth it? especially you fitech users.

I took a fast ez1 POS off and installed a fitech with fuel command center. it was so easy to install with timing control.starts cold and hot throttel response as good as any carb I have ever owned. I coundnt be happier. yes it was worth it at $1300 vs $2200 and up for others. if you go this route by from pace performance customer service is outstanding

Well fast ez has a pretty fair reputation, it makes me wonder if yours just doesn't have a problem?

Thanks to all above,,I've been thinking of this for my 88 D350 Ram that still is a carb. Fitech was the one I was looking at.

-
Back