Electric choke connection

-

valiant1966

Reaction score
Okay, got my new 2 barrel on my modified 1 barrel manifold running(the carb is turned 90 degrees). Still working on smoothing out the linkage. My question is:

The person that gave me the manifold also had the electric choke on it. It is a Holley 9189/32 electric choke with one wire. I would guess that wire should be hooked up to a source that is only hot when the ignition is on(yes/no)?

Should it be fused and what size fuse? 8)

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose? It already has a bi-metal spring in there. Just a small heater for an assist?

Thanks

electric choke works as a timer
just make sure it's 12v when the car is running...5a fuse is fine

There is no relationship between the actual temperature of the engine and the operation of an electric choke. The choke operates as a function of the time that current has been passing through the internal element. This means that you want to connect the lead to a wire that is energized only when the car is running.

Do not use the wire going to to posative side of the coil, Something I read, Why I don't know
Yes a supply wire to the choke when the key is in the start position only, Then set your choke by loosening the screw on the electric choke so when it is warm it is all the way open

our + coil wire is stepped down to 9v

you can use the feed into the ballast resistor or any 12v hot w/engine running...just check it with a volt meter with the engine running, wherever you pick.

-
Back