electric fan ???

-

Nu2Mopar

Reaction score
I am thinking of adding an electric puller fan at the front of my radiator. I am using the stock type 65 amp alt. I don't have any acc. draw to speak of, so will it hurt to have a 13 amp draw with the fan I want to use?

Thanks!

May want to use a pusher in front of the radiator.

I am thinking of adding an electric puller fan at the front of my radiator. I am using the stock type 65 amp alt. I don't have any acc. draw to speak of, so will it hurt to have a 13 amp draw with the fan I want to use?

Thanks!
13 amps may be a bit too much depending on your Charging/wiring situation. You'll probably be okay until you have the Wipers,Radio,headlights,Brakelights, etc...on all at once. The problem is if you add a bigger alternator your wiring may not be up to the task. I would rather see you use a traditional fan/Clutch combo with a full correct Shroud.

If you want to use an electric fan, consider one of a mid 90's Ford Taurus, there is a lot of info out there, do a Google search.

They supposed to provide huge airflow at a reasonable price and have a built in shroud.

Are you sure 13 A is the steady current? It may just be the starting surge. You need to rate your wires and relay for the surge, but how much it requires from the battery depends on the running current and duty cycle. A cheap, reliable fan that many use is a Mercedes pusher. My 64 Valiant came with one, but I got another at the junkyard (~$20), plus the little horns on the mount bar. I will put the 1st fan on my Dart.

I wouldn't change the alternator until you know it is insufficient. Watch your ALT meter as you drive. Put the battery on a charger once a week, and if it charges fully in <10 min, you know your alt is keeping up. Caveat - a bad battery (sulfated plates) will show fully charged quickly too because it can't "hold a charge". I have the round-back alt on my Newport w/ EFI and AC and it works fine. Once it didn't and I found the alt was getting weak (1 of 3 diodes was blown).

-
Back