Electric power steering?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the DTM thread, so i copied a member's quote and started this one.

You shove the unit from a Vue/Cruze/Equinox under the dash and run a controller available on eBay.

corsaBcolumn.jpg

$(KGrHqVHJE!FE3spbY-qBRcSCywdg!~~60_35.JPG

I'm using a Hower 2:1 steering quickener between the column and the manual box. That will give me 12:1. If I want faster I can switch to a 20:1, or 16:1, box to speed it up more and even go to fast ratio idler/pitman to adjust even further.

Since $$$ seems to be a hot topic in the thread, let's look at how much is going into this solution.

Used Vue column $100
eBay controller $65
Howe Quickener $92
U Joints/Couplers/Steering Shaft $325
Borgeson Manual Box $380

Wow... $962 for a complete electric steering solution with steering box. Price out a new FFI box (or Borgeson), rebuilt column, pump, pulleys and it's pretty much a wash.

What really drove this decision? The headers... 2" TTI Gen3 will not clear any power steering box. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to put in this solution than have a set of custom headers built. Plus, better packaging, adjustable, etc...

Has anyone done this previously on an A-body? I really like the idea of dumping my power steering box/pump for this setup.

Sounds like a smart solution. I wondered if electric steering would be any good until I drove the new Dodge 1/2 ton. Can't tell the difference.

Lessee....how many GM recalls does it take to...oh, never mind.

Lessee....how many GM recalls does it take to...oh, never mind.

Other models from GM with electric power steering, yes. I don't see anything for the Vue/Equinox line. The smaller cars use a different setup.

If motor does go in this setup (most common issue), I believe it's about a $100 part.

http://www.pro-touring.nl/

I found this while searching around. If you go to page 18 on the "my nova link" you can see this guy did this install on his early nova. The electric motor is visible, but it may be more hidden in an A-body because it looks like our columns are more recessed into the dash than that nova.

It's a very popular conversion in Europe for Rally cars, kit cars, etc... They use the Opel Corsa parts over there.

Cool, but fabbing mounting points will be hard and add considerable weight, plus limit access. Might take careful design so you don't get bump steer, limit travel, or the wheel turns the wrong way. The later might be a feature once you learn to steer backwards since nobody could steal your car.

I drove my son's Cruze 2 yrs ago and ran over the asphalt warning strips on a mountain turn. The power assist cut off. I stopped and thought it had thrown a belt or broke the motor. Saw no problem, so drove on and it worked fine. Perhaps if it senses pulsing it goes into a default "no assist" mode.

Cool, but fabbing mounting points will be hard and add considerable weight, plus limit access. Might take careful design so you don't get bump steer, limit travel, or the wheel turns the wrong way. The later might be a feature once you learn to steer backwards since nobody could steal your car.

Bump steer is a complete non-issue, the stock Mopar steering box is used so all of the steering geometry would remain identical. You'd add the power unit into the column, so the rest of the steering system would stay the same.

Depending on where you put the module, you could probably even retain all the visible parts of the steering column, so mopar turn signals, steering wheel etc.

By the looks of things, you could probably add the power module into the column under the dash. Just section it straight into the steering shaft, and take a section out of the column jacket. Mount the column jacket up to the power module, and adapt it into the steering column with the appropriate couplers.

That link to the guys Nova page pretty much shows exactly that process. I may have to buy some of those parts and see if I can figure out how to mount one of those things up. With my 16:1 Flaming river steering box and 275/35/18's up front the steering effort on my Duster is pretty significant at "parking" speeds. And if the "boost" from the electric unit was enough, I might even be able to install a steering quickner to drop the ratio to 12:1 or even 8:1 for truly go-cart like steering...

I attempted to install a similar set up on the Mule several months ago.

I tried several different ways to mount the unit on the interior side of the firewall. The unit I had looked even smaller than the piece shown. It was used on a Midget, but was being removed because the racer did not like the feel.....not sure what that would mean for a street application, but if I could have figgured out how to make it fit without major surgery, I was gonna install it.

needless to say, I couldn't.

At around $800, I decided to just use a power rack with a compact P/S pump. Even on HemiMarks new Gen II Hemi K-frame set-up, there was way more room for the compact pump than there was for the electric assist unit under the dash.

I'll be watchin in case anyone gets one installed.....great idea!

REALLY???? So I butcher Corsas here and become millionaire selling the stuff to you? Yoohoo... :D

Sure... you can fill the trunk up when the car is over to run the 'Ring (if I can get there before the new owners screw it up).

Never mind my post #10. I ASSumed it was an electric-assisted rack & pinion system. Looks like it mounts in the cabin, replacing the factory steering column.

Never mind my post #10. I ASSumed it was an electric-assisted rack & pinion system. Looks like it mounts in the cabin, replacing the factory steering column.

I think it is an electric assist....for a rack or steering box.
From what I think I'm seeing, the picture also shows shaft and adapter hardware.

Right?

I think it is an electric assist....for a rack or steering box.
From what I think I'm seeing, the picture also shows shaft and adapter hardware.

Right?
Electric assist for rack or steering box.

Generic pic of what you typically get at the yard when you grab one.

Do any of you know how many of these units I replace each week due to mechanical failure? This is the crappiest of all the electric power steering units. There should be a recall. There was a rumor of a class action lawsuit being started because they fail all the time.

Based on the new car reviews I read (R&T), enthusiasts hate electric power steering. They say it has very little road feel, and makes cars like BMWs and Porsches less fun to drive. The reason it is becoming the standard is for fuel economy, not performance. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sounds like the same reason the racer was removing it....didn't like the feel

Do any of you know how many of these units I replace each week due
to mechanical failure? This is the crappiest of all the electric power
steering units.

There should be a recall. There was a rumor of a class action lawsuit being
started because they fail all the time.
He's right. I was a GM Warranty Administrator for the past 13 years and
this is a very common failure. You have to replace the whole column.

-
Back