Electric Pump HELP

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
2 years back, I installed a Holley electric pump on my 67 Cuda....it's a 273 2bbl, so I installed the small one...........worked great, but I HATED the noise....I isolated it 2 ways, and still the noise......

Well, the car is driven very little.......My daughter just fired it up (with a LOT of difficulty) and tried to get it to a car show....it died 3 times, then wouldn't start at all........They tell me that the pump was making a ticking noise after they fired it up, but then it stopped......then the car died downtown.....

This pump had less than 200 miles on it.........Mechanical pumps just don't run worth a baloney on the car (probably the cam lobe....could use a new cam), so I want to stick to an electric..........

BUT, I want a dependable pump.........200 miles just doesn't cut it with my money.

What other pumps could you guys recommend? I want one that will last, and be suitable for a stock small block. :read2:

I no nothing about aftermarket fuel pumps other than they are noisey.
Reason I'm posting is to question the need for one. 200 miles over 2 years strongly suggests stale gas, clogged lines, etc..
Stock mechanical pump should deliver plenty of fuel for your application
even with a worn cam.

fuel pump doesnt run directly off the cam...there is a bolt on eccentric that runs it and can be replaced if worn

I no nothing about aftermarket fuel pumps other than they are noisey.
Reason I'm posting is to question the need for one. 200 miles over 2 years strongly suggests stale gas, clogged lines, etc..
Stock mechanical pump should deliver plenty of fuel for your application
even with a worn cam.

There's no stale gas.......new tank, new lines, new everything........sometimes the pump operates, and sometimes it doesn't........good connections.......just a lousy pump..........

fuel pump doesnt run directly off the cam...there is a bolt on eccentric that runs it and can be replaced if worn

Now that I wasn't aware of.......thought it was an integral lobe on the cam....

Still need recommendations on a good electric.......The car is already configured for it, and I'd just like to change it out at this point........8)

That design pump is questionable from the get go. Alum housings, external motor, and the motor is not fluid cooled.

The inline units, such as Aeromotive, are fluid cooled, so the fuel flowing through it absorbs the sound, and provides lubrication to the moving parts.

They also have some that are similiar to the Holley, but far better built.

Tom,

Have you looked into the Mallory Gerotor style pumps? They are not silent by any stretch of the imagination but they are quieter than the Holleys. I ran one 40K on one years back but I lived in Chicago and even though I had a filter before the pump rust finally killed it. It would run, but I had to open the trunk and give it a tap.

Where is the pump mounted? Is it below the bottom of the tank? How far away is it from the tank? Are you using a factory pick-up and tank? Fuel cell? Pics are worth a thousand words.

Mounted on frame rail in front of the axle, slightly below gravity.......Can't give you a pic cause it's in my garage in NY......I'm in Florida right now......

The kids said it was "ticking" loud at one point....not good.....A little later, after they checked the fluids and got it ready to drive, no ticking......BUT, it quit 3 times on the way....had to tow it back.

Now there's no gas flow at all.......definitely the pump......and it's a new factory tank & pick-up assembly.

I haven't checked into the pumps you mentioned, but I will now.........8)

I've found that using an electric pump in conjuction with a factory pickup and stainless braided from the pickup to filter can let air in which will eventually ruin a pump. The braided won't really "crush" enough with hose clamps to form a really tight seal on the pickup outlet.

I don't know if that's your situation, but it might be something to check out. Good luck Tom and keep us updated. Don't forget to check the all the related electricals for corrosion or loose connections too.

-
Back