electric vs mechanical fuel pump

-

dirtydart

Reaction score
I am attempting to make my Dart run again asap. Its a 273 auto. I am sure they work great but right now im just looking for what works now.

I am looking for the easy route to getting it running. I am considering using a mechanical for now. My friends are saying electric but it didn't come with one so why spend that money for something I don't need yet.

Does anyone know the horsepower loss/gain by using a mechanical instead of an electric pump??

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Just getting it running again, use a mechanical.
What condition is the fuel tank?

Mechanical is going to be easier.

Electric can be great but make sure they are mounted low as the bottom of the tank and as close to the tank as you can get. They are a pump, they do not like to suck. That will cause them to eventually burn out. That's why most vehicles went to in tank fuel pumps.

On a stock, or basically stock engine there are zero concerns about loosing any HP by using one or the other.
Mechanical is obviously easier for what you need right now.

On a stock, or basically stock engine there are zero concerns about loosing any HP by using one or the other.
Mechanical is obviously easier for what you need right now.

The only problem is getting a good one! Airtex are pretty much junk, loose and noisy out of the box.

Quality OEM type Carter fuel pumps are avail' at RockAuto.com The later model pump will have its outlet connection in a different location but... If you can reroute the fuel line from that pump to your carb including relocating the fuel filter as factory did in later models, it will work better. Later model thicker base gasket under the carb also recommended.
If you're not wiling to rework theat fuel line, order the correct pump for your application. Thicker base gasket still recommended and wont make a heck of a lot of difference at install. You only need to readjust the bends in the choke heater rod.

The car sat somewhere for a long time, its license plate has tags from 1986 on it and I bought it in 2012. It had been sitting in that lot for a year at least. I had the motor and trans rebuilt. Just trying to bring it back to life by summer or during summer.

-
Back