Electric Water Pump on street car

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Is anyone running an electric water pump on a street car? I wanted to do this but I have heard that you shouldn't. So has anyone had any success running one on their street car?

How many miles will it see a week/month/year?

Most (including myself) will say it's not a good idea unless the car is only driven to the local burger stand on Sundays.

The problems………

They are not really designed for the rigors of standard street driving.

The way they fail…… They simply and silently stop running. With a standard water pump they will often give some warning like leaking or noise.

have a buddy that is running one on his cuda. he loves it. but he has 4.30 gears and really doesn't drive it great distances. drives it a lot but but not all that far .

I say for a street car buy street parts.....An electric pump is more of a race part and more at home on the track. A mechanical pump will flow with the engine rpm and an electric pump only has one speed. They are more for the track and to run while in the pits.

OK, that is what I have heard before. It will be a street/strip car. But it will be driven a lot to, not just a weekend toy. So it looks like mechanical is the way to go.

I saw an electric pump fail on a street car. Not pretty. But it did prove that a temp sender won't read accurately if there is no coolant around it.

-
Back