Electrical issue make car no start.

-

Nico383

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

When the rear harness is connected to the main harness, I can't start the car : the accessories feed gets linked to the ground.

First I faced fact one of the stop switch wire (white) is linked to the ground whereas it should not be. I thought the direction column wiring was good as I din't touched it. So I went trought the next step following the diagram and had a look to the rear harness.

I did some tests : with no light bulb plugged and fuel sending unit disconnected, I can connect the rear harness and start the car. If one of them are connected, my accessories feed is linked to the ground again.

As the rear harness closes a loop I decided to have a look to the other side. The white wire goes to the direction signal switch. For the moment I don't have access to it as I don't have what's needed to take my steering wheel out.

When I brake, the accessory feed is not at the ground anymore (braking switch cuts the link between pink wire and the ground)

When I set the flashlight to left, right or none : white wire is to the ground, accessories feed too.

My question is : What wire should I inpect uphill to the white wire to check if it got grounded accidentaly? (I don't know how the direction signal switch works)...

Many thanks for your help,

Nico from France.

Knowing what car could help. Starter turns but no spark? Starter doesn't turn?
You have a hot at all times wire to a brake lamp switch above the brake pedal. When that switch closes power goes into the white wire and up the steering column to the signal switch assembly. Signal switch position determines whether the power goes out on only 1 or both rear lamps. Anyway.. This signal switch is a common place to have a problem, lack of brake lamps, etc.. but preventing start? That shouldn't occur even with a short circuit in the signal switch. The ignition isn't supposed to be supplied by accessory feed. Starter relay gets its power on a yellow wire. spark ignition gets its power on blue wire(s).

Knowing what car could help. Starter turns but no spark? Starter doesn't turn?
You have a hot at all times wire to a brake lamp switch above the brake pedal. When that switch closes power goes into the white wire and up the steering column to the signal switch assembly. Signal switch position determines whether the power goes out on only 1 or both rear lamps. Anyway.. This signal switch is a common place to have a problem, lack of brake lamps, etc.. but preventing start? That shouldn't occur even with a short circuit in the signal switch. The ignition isn't supposed to be supplied by accessory feed. Starter relay gets its power on a yellow wire. spark ignition gets its power on blue wire(s).

Hi there,
Problem seems to be solved... I had a short-circuit while working on starter relay, working on it I solved it without being aware.
Thanks RedFish

-
Back