Electrical Tape Tip

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I think most of us know what a pain in the butt it is to try and tape some wiring up and have it look decent and tightly wrapped, right?

Try this,
Roll off how much tape you think you may need, and strech it out then roll it back onto the tape roll.
This way when you start wrapping the tape onto your wire, the tape shrinks back and really tightens up.
Stretching it first makes it where you don't have to stretch the tape and wrap with it at the same time.

Works great, try it.

Will give it a try when I re-wire the switches on the bike here soon....Thanks.....

Use the new painless wire sheath. it is the best I have seen yet. They have kits of all sizes. Pricey but nice stuff

Not everybody runs out and buys something when they need to do a job guys.
This was specifically for electrical tape.

If you're using standard E-tape for this, expect a gooey, sticky mess in a season or two.

Use the no-adhesive tape for a factory-style, tightly wrapped (like me!) harness.

Great tip on pre-tensioning it though!

Not everybody runs out and buys something when they need to do a job guys.
This was specifically for electrical tape.

Don't have either one of the places mentioned anywhere near here.....

Couple of other things I've learned over the years............

I used to use a driver drill with quick chuck a LOT so always had "bunch of bits"

When taping up something in a restricted area, take your drill with a short bit, wind some tape on the bit to make a "mini" roll

When taping temporary "stuff" fold over the last 1/2" on itself to leave a pull tab and make it easier to get undone.

You can order 4? foot lengths of heat shrink from Mouser Electronics. Those guys are always very helpful, and have no minimum order.

You can get 4' sticks of heat shrink from DelCity. NAPA has it available in rolls....

All this is good info,
I usually use a rubberized heat shrink tape that electricians use on an underground cable's joints but over the years it gets hard as a rock and sometimes crispy if heated continually.... so I'm still learning...

Don’t waste time or money on cheap tape it will soon come unraveled, and doesn’t like cold or high temperatures. I use only 3M #33, it’s expensive but doses the job, and it comes in a plastic storage box and a selection of colors.

The factory type harness wrap that doesn't have adhesive is available. Somtimes I caefully unwrap the harness and rewrap it with the original stuff.
Part stores get waaaay to much for split loom while many part yards will give it to you.

Year One sells the original type wrap under the p/n HWRAP. It's 10 dollars for a 100 ft. roll, it looks original and will outlive you.

Just got my order from DelCity....They shipped me a 4 foot stick of 1/8" heat shrink tubing in a 4 foot long box to avoid folding it....

Don’t waste time or money on cheap tape it will soon come unraveled, and doesn’t like cold or high temperatures. I use only 3M #33, it’s expensive but doses the job, and it comes in a plastic storage box and a selection of colors.

X2

Just got my order from DelCity....They shipped me a 4 foot stick of 1/8" heat shrink tubing in a 4 foot long box to avoid folding it....

That's pretty much the correct procedure for handling heat shrink tubing. Eliminates those kinks that make it difficult to slide the tubing over the wire. DelCity is a quality supplier.

-
Back