Electrical vs. Mechanical Gauges

-
That's awful. :angry7:

One note I'd like to add: "even though he used a copper line?" Copper line cracks way too easily, especially if he didn't use a few lengths of rubber to protect it from engine vibration.

Yes it was awful and I do agree copper can crack especially if not installed correctly but if done right it can last longer than the nylon tubing they send with the gauges by at least double the life. When I first started working on cars I saw many 50's and 60's trucks that used the copper line last well into the 80's and 90's. The braided lines like Redfastback mentioned is definetly the best.

If I do use copper line I coil any stress areas around a 1" piece of pipe 6-8 times to relieve stress.

I will only use mechanical oil pressure gauges. Try one of each. Let the engine idle, then give it a couple blips of the throttle and watch how fast the mech gauge responds vs. electrical.

Thanks for the plumbing tip, redfastback. A braided line would give me peace of mind. I'll go that route if possible.

I can go either way with water temp, though.

Mark

100_0789.jpg

I have all electrical autometers. The hookup is very easy, and i haven't had gauge response issues with the oil pressure either. you can even watch it on this video, the oil pressure is the far right gauge

I like the programmable speedometer, to put that on you literally just need to wire it up and buy the sensor for the Chevy application. Then you run through the calibration cycle. You will then have a speedometer that doesn't bounce and can be reprogrammed so you never have to change the gear again.

I also have the proper mopar calibrated fuel gauge and I hooked it up to the stock wiring even and it works perfectly.

The hookup in general can get kind of involved. I made a wiring harness for the gauge cluster itself, and then added two 6-pin weatherpacks for the 12 wires and connected them up to the stock dash harness on the other side for the wires that were not additional. Makes it easy to get in and out.

Yes it was awful and I do agree copper can crack especially if not installed correctly but if done right it can last longer than the nylon tubing they send with the gauges by at least double the life. When I first started working on cars I saw many 50's and 60's trucks that used the copper line last well into the 80's and 90's. The braided lines like Redfastback mentioned is definetly the best.

If I do use copper line I coil any stress areas around a 1" piece of pipe 6-8 times to relieve stress.

Interesting to hear that one, and I don't doubt you can make it last longer than nylon. There's some types of rubber that I suspect would hold up pretty well.

By that last line, do you mean that you coil the line into a springlike shape, like the loops in brake lines?

Interesting to hear that one, and I don't doubt you can make it last longer than nylon. There's some types of rubber that I suspect would hold up pretty well.

By that last line, do you mean that you coil the line into a springlike shape, like the loops in brake lines?

Yeah, the coil allows flex without straining the tubing.
The braided line is the way to go, but I've never had a problem with the nylon. The key is to route it where it can't be damaged. Mine is less than 3 feet long.
When the car comes apart and goes back together it will have a braided line. They are just too inexpensive not to use them.
I had one of my oil hoses for the filter relocation kit burst open on me a while back. Nothing but braided stuff now. At least mine didn't burst into flames!

Yeah what Dave said above. The spring like coil acts as a strain relief. Of course braided line or low pressure hyd. hose would be the best to use.

I can see it working with coils. Some people, though, seem to forget that it's miniature hard line and plumb it up like it's the nylon tubing's more heat resistant brother instead.

-
Back