Electrical woes continuing

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
I thought I had the solution to the wiring woes that caused and/or were caused by the horribly burned bulkhead connector I showed in my previous "Electrical Woes" thread. I ordered brand new engine/forward light and dash harnesses and was assured that they would be "completely plug and play". Suffice it to say that they are NOT! Sure the wires are really pretty, and seeing shiny metal in the fuse box and all the connectors was kind of a thrill. Then I crawled up under the dash and laid the new harness out in nearly the position it will end up in, and discovered the three missing circuits from both harnesses. It seems that the harnesses are for a low line '64 Dart. No provision is made for the variable speed windshield wiper & washer or the backup lights. The fusebox has clips for only five fuses & seven are needed.

Sure, I could cannibalize the old harnesses but as soon as I start cutting the new harnesses there goes the warranty. I am disappointed and frustrated, but I have hopes that the harness maker will correct the omissions. Patience is a virtue that I do not possess, and the process of getting these harnesses corrected and the time involved are going to be unpleasant, mostly because it was unexpected. Please pardon the rant and take salesperson's promises as being worth the paper they're printed on.

ATB

BC

man-- sorry to hear that.
Hopefully the harness company will correct the mistake.
Did the engine side match correctly?

hopefully this gets resolved quickly ,Lawrence

Unless you are in search of perfection run additional wires with in line fuseholders.

where did ya buy the harness?

Wondering that as well. I gave Evans wiring my engine compartment wiring for my 65 GT. Got the electronic ignition upgrade and the rest of the harness was duplicated just like the original.

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I'm holding off naming the sources of this disappointment 'til I see what customer support results I get. I spent a lot of time online, and have seen mostly positive comments on freshly built MOPAR wiring harnesses from two sources. I'd never heard of Evans wiring, but their site looks good and the reports are mostly good. I'll be making Customer Service calls tomorrow!!

Subscribed.

Lots of 'speed bumps' in this niche market.

Kudos Sir for not naming the supplier.

Customer service will tell the tale (as it were).

I gave Evans wiring my engine compartment wiring for my 65 GT

you lucky anything worked at all after letting them touch a harness. the one i got from them had bad crimps all over the place on it. it was garbage..

I only remember 5 fuses in every early a body from the factory. What are fuses 6 and 7 for?

Bob, that sucks. I just spend some time yesterday pulling a harness from a newer lincoln to upgrade my 65 harness. Just needing long runs of colored cable and some connectors. I will have to buy the bulkhead spade connectors and Im sure many other small items as I go, but I do have time right now.

It seems that one big neame catalog sells some of the sub-assembly harnesses, like the A/C heater and says that the connectors are in place to remove your original and connect it to the new harness.

I only remember 5 fuses in every early a body from the factory. What are fuses 6 and 7 for?

The fusebox I pulled out of my Dart GT has seven.
The drawings here:
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64DartA.jpg
and here:
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64DartB.jpg
show seven.

Since my harness has seven fuses and both my factory service and the drawings referenced above show seven, I was expecting the harness sold as "totally plug and play" would have seven as well. Seems like a reasonable assumption to me.

I think probably that the low line cars (Dart 170, 270) may have had fewer fuses. Or maybe it all depended on the options ordered when the car was built. Maybe they had a crew of munchkins making up each harness per the build sheet, I don't know.

Guess an update is due, I received the wiring harnesses from Year One in just a few days, then the fun began. The dash harness had no provision for the variable speed windshield wiper, windshield washer electric pump, or backup lights. Year One customer service referred me to the folks who actually make their Mopar wiring harnesses, M&H in California.

Well, it took over three weeks to get the issues resolved. The M&H customer service guy and I spent uncounted hours on the phone. I had both the old original (but sadly hacked up) dash harness and the pretty new one that wouldn't work for me laid across my lap and the factory service manuals on my workbench as we tried to come to a meeting of the minds.

Finally, I sent both the old and new harnesses back to M&H, having come to an agreement that satisfied us both. It took them three days to rework the harnesses to my needs and I let them keep the original harnesses for their examination and possible use in reworking their future production harnesses. It was \i{\u{REALLY}} frustrating, but everyone came away happy and also learned some stuff.

Year One customer service did all they could in passing me along to the maker. And M&H certainly did a fine job making me happy. I wish it had gone quicker, but the delays were unavoidable and the new harnesses are things of beauty! Well, compared to the old stuff anyway...

Attachments

• Old Wiring at bulkhead (Medium).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Old Wiring on firewall (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 190
Way to go Car looks good under the hood, very close to my 65 cuda formula s including upgraded dual master cylinder! I utilized a different company for the electrical system wiring harness as I find the guys you use too expensive and as you found out they do not do the work just farm it out! A lesson one learns in the old car world over time! I try to utilize the guys who do the work themselves most of the time to not go through the issues you just had to fight! My cuda is sitting in Maryland waiting for me to come and get it as i have moved to Chicago, soon it will be making the move also! Love my baby and its Mopar or No Car in my old car world!!! Have a great weekend and cruise with a smile!!!

If upgrading the under-hood harness for electronic ignition, relays for headlights, and/or electric fan, it is probably better to start from scratch. I added a relay/fuse box from a 90's car. All I needed from my original harness was the plastic shells from the bulkhead. I used smaller 20 awg ribbon wire to the relays.

I'm going to use the fuse box from a 90's dakota. I found that a number of the connectors are very reusable. I have a lot of work still to do as the only thing I have done is pull apart harnesses from newer cars so far.

-
Back