Electronic ignition issue

-
I think my conclusion would be that the chain and sprockets had enough play to affect the timing. When I took a closer look at the sprockets you can see a big difference in the valley as well as the top off the tooth.As for the chain it was pretty sloppy if you did a side to side movement as opposed to the new chain being rigid. I think too that the ease of removing the chain and sprockets from the cam & crank was a tell tale. As for my dead cylinder issue it is attributed to the dist cap. I bought a new cap and rotor through the dealership and it appears the #5 post inside is miss aligned and therefore no contact.Just plainly a poor product all around which visibly shows in how the contacts are machined and how Not they are debured or properly cleaned up after. Here again another clue to a potential problem.Napa came through to get things going but still not as good a product as the older black mopar cap.

That IS a weird one. Glad you mad progress. I know how frustrating things can be

Last night me and my boy decided to spend some time on tweaking things. We went back to point "A" and set #1 to 10° BTDC and then popped the dist cap and decided to rotate the drive gear one more tooth. Re adjust the plug wires to the #1 position,made note of the rotor position,vacuum advance position. One pump on the gas pedal and hit the key and she fired,a little bit of a stumble until she warmed up a bit but gradually started to run a little smoother as we got warmer. About 20 minutes into this we shut her down and put the timing light on it and plugged the vac advance. Played with the dist and carb and could hear a definite change in running and sound out the back. We finally settled on 8° BTDC and curb idle very close to spec. And let her be over night. Fired up today with no issue and on the test run felt strong pulling 1st thru 3rd. So I think I am pretty happy with these results for the moment,I think we could and can probably tweak more but this is good for now.

A little longer rip today and when I went to shut her down she hinted a little run on. Could this be a timing or fuel adjustment,this engine still has the solenoid for I believe this type of situation and was working ...awhile back.(lots of decayed wiring in this car) but is now appearing not to work.
Thanks 67Dart273,your posts as well as others have been very helpful and as I have said in the past all help is greatly appreciated. Jeff

i get used to get the occasional run-on, but i have my timing about as a far as it will go with out pinging. ive just made it a habit to shut my car off in gear (auto).

-
Back