Electronic Ignition Module Underhood location

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
I converted my 70 Swinger from Dual Points to electronic, and mounted the module on the firewall to the left of the wiper motor. I have been told by many "experts" that this is incorrect because of it being mounted to close to the engine where it may soak heat. I ran the car for three years like this before I took it apart for restoration. I never had a heat problem, but , like said, it wasn't ran but a few years. My question is, where did the facvtory mount the ignition module on the later A bodies? I dont really like the look of it mounted on the fender behind where the washer bottle goes, but if that is the safest place, I may do it. The pic is where my Ignition module was before I tore my car down.
dartresto1 015.jpg

I dont remember exactly where it was mounted on a 70. Somewhere around 72 or 73 they started mounting them on the inner fender by the washer bottle.

I dont remember exactly where it was mounted on a 70. Somewhere around 72 or 73 they started mounting them on the inner fender by the washer bottle.

Mopars didn't have electronic ignition till 72. The 72 RR I owned had the ECM installed on the firewall. I believe 1972 A bodys had them on the fender.

"Mopars didn't have electronic ignition till 72." Duh, brain fart.
A body would be just past the washer bottle towards the firewall on the vertical part of the inner fender.

Thats where mine has been for many years. But up till now the car has seen limited use. But has been driven on lots of 90 degree+ days and never had a problem.

IMG_0748.jpg

I converted my 70 Swinger from Dual Points to electronic, and mounted the module on the firewall to the left of the wiper motor. I have been told by many "experts" that this is incorrect because of it being mounted to close to the engine where it may soak heat. I ran the car for three years like this before I took it apart for restoration. I never had a heat problem, but , like said, it wasn't ran but a few years. My question is, where did the facvtory mount the ignition module on the later A bodies? I dont really like the look of it mounted on the fender behind where the washer bottle goes, but if that is the safest place, I may do it. The pic is where my Ignition module was before I tore my car down.View attachment 1715169798

Who cares what so called "experts' think.
If you like it there leave it.
Those same "experts" would freak out if they saw my car.:D
GM ignition, Ford scoop, BMW seats, Nissan washer tank and on and on. :D

As you are finding out they put them in a few different places.
Here is another factory location, and where mine used to be.

Moparmandan beat me too it.:D

340wedge4-e1447717612817.jpg

You want people to really freak out? Mount 2 Mopar ECU's on the inner fender and make sure you don't have them connected! :D
Same here; GM ignition module, BMW seats and an GM Opel washer tank. Oh and a Ford 3G alternator :)

People make **** up all the time. It called talking out their ***. The factory mounted stuff where it was the easiest to mount while coming down the production line and to use the least amount of wire they could.

Mount that thing in the trunk, on the bumper or anywhere you want it and tell the morons to bite your *** in the split.

Thanks to all the replies, I am thinking "Put it back" where it was, as there are holes there for it. I would have to drill holes in the fender to put it behind the washer bottle. I am in the "least holes as possible" in the body mode :)

In order to stop all the guessing, use a k-type thermocouple adapter for a multimeter and measure temperatures for locations, under varions driving conditions. Electronic devices typically rise a number of degrees above ambient. The maximum junction temperature of automotive electronics is 125 degees Centigrade or 257 F. I have temperature monitoring in my ECU, with data logging. My ECU typically rises about 10C above ambient, and during warm weather temperature runs between 50 and 60C.

Besides temperature, wiring lengths is another consideration. Keeping distributor pickup leads short, is desirable.

Mounting away from the engine seems better, but sure doesn't protect from over-heating. You can find many photos of black goop draining down the inner fender from a Mopar ECU. But, that is more from cheap Chinese products. Some of them even install a fake TO-3 "transistor" sticking up thru the housing but wire them with a little transistor glued to the case. Of course, modern electronics don't need the big box Mopar used in the early 1970's.

I mounted my MSD and coil under the dash. Kept it nice and cool. Now just the coil, MSD was replaced on left inner fender.

-
Back