Electronic Voltage Regulator

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I found this voltage regulator on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...ryZ80735QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's appearance is the same as the points type regulator but it has solid state internals. I was thinking of getting one for my '64 because it would be an upgrade form the mechanical style, would be compatable with a Mopar electronic ignition I plan to add, & would simplify wiring since it would be a "plug & play" type of deal. It's good for alternators up to 65 amps. I'm not a big stereo type of guy, so I don't think I'll need a bigger alternator than that. Has anybody here had any experience with one of these? Any comments, good, bad, or otherwise? Thanks!

:burnout:

Yeah, they're excellent. Buy one. You can get them all over the place. They cured a lot of my electrical woes like dimming lights and stuff.

Is the ebay price reasonable? I checked a parts website & they listed a lot of regulators with varying prices but gave no real idea whether they were electronic or mechanical.

Yes, the ebay price is reasonable. I think I paid $30 for mine, but it was NEW with a sticker on it. That one lacks the sticker, so it might be used? Looks pretty new though.

If you missed out on the auction, you can get one of these directly from southernhotrods.com. I have one on my 66 Valiant and it cured a lot of ills.

If you don't care about it looking exactly the same you can get a replacement regulator with electronic internals from most any parts store for about $10. These are usually not painted and the case is not as thick but the connections and mounting bracket are the same.

I have a spare one that is in a plastic housing, it was cheaper. The metal housed ones are identical to the old mechanical ones, except for the guts. In fact, I once ordered one through Napa and got a mechanical one, then an electronic one, both ordered with the same part number!

Thanks for the info. I have to go to a larger town to do some shopping tomorrow. I'll check to see what some of the larger parts houses have before I go the ebay route. I'd kinda' like to get the stock looking metal one.

-
Back