Eliminate charcoal canister + stuff

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
I want to "clean up" the engine compartment. Can I eliminate the charcoal canister and the related hoses without messing things up? If so, what should I do with the line that comes from the gas tank? While I'm thinking about it, can I get rid of the PCV valve too?

Getting rid of the Charcoal canister will do absolutely nothing for you.

The PCV is an important part. This should not be removed.

Getting rid of the Charcoal canister will do absolutely nothing for you.

The PCV is an important part. This should not be removed.
I wasn't looking for any peformance gains. I would do something for cleaning up the enginge compartment. So, what should I do withthe line that runs from the gas tank to the charcoal canister?

PCV pulls the pressure out of the crankcase and puts it back into the intake. Best thing would be to plumb it into the exhaust rather than carb, but some sort of breather is very necessary. You can pull the charcoal canister off the car without any problems, just dont let the vent hose from the tank get plugged up. Put some sort of breather on it if possible.

PCV pulls the pressure out of the crankcase and puts it back into the intake. Best thing would be to plumb it into the exhaust rather than carb, but some sort of breather is very necessary. You can pull the charcoal canister off the car without any problems, just dont let the vent hose from the tank get plugged up. Put some sort of breather on it if possible.

I would disregard all of this. The factory spents lots of money to design a system that works to benefit you the car owner and increase the life of the engine. The pcv is fine as designed for street purposes. Pcv is crucial to the life of the engine. The canister prevents your gasoline from evaporating into the air. At $3.80 a gallon how much gas do you want to let evaporate?

I agree wholeheartedly that the PCV is fine for street purposes. It is not advised to take the PCV off any engine as it gets rid of excess gasses in the crankcase preventing dangerous pressures from building up. I simply said that it is better to have the exhaust scavenge the excess pressure (which is hot) than have it sucked into the intake and mix with the good cool air going into the engine. Hot air going into the engine makes the engine less efficent, therefore losing power. It's more efficient for the PCV to be plumbed to the exhaust. It wont gain a noticable amount of power or mpg on the stock \6, but every little thing helps. The charcoal canister is just a huge breather using charcoal as a filter, so it can be replaced without any negitive effects. If you want to dress up the engine compartment some, use some of that braided steel look-a-like hose spectre makes, but the PCV does have a purpose.

I agree wholeheartedly that the PCV is fine for street purposes. It is not advised to take the PCV off any engine as it gets rid of excess gasses in the crankcase preventing dangerous pressures from building up. I simply said that it is better to have the exhaust scavenge the excess pressure (which is hot) than have it sucked into the intake and mix with the good cool air going into the engine. Hot air going into the engine makes the engine less efficent, therefore losing power. It's more efficient for the PCV to be plumbed to the exhaust. It wont gain a noticable amount of power or mpg on the stock \6, but every little thing helps. The charcoal canister is just a huge breather using charcoal as a filter, so it can be replaced without any negitive effects. If you want to dress up the engine compartment some, use some of that braided steel look-a-like hose spectre makes, but the PCV does have a purpose.
Plumbed into the exhaust? Sounds like an interesting idea. Where would you splice it into the exhaust at?

id be concerned that those gas vapors would combust in the exhaust manifold and blowback...BOOM.

no???

Plumbed into the exhaust? Sounds like an interesting idea. Where would you splice it into the exhaust at?

It's done on some higher HP engines in racing to keep the incoming air cooler while still running a PCV. You weld in a plug close to the manifold (or on the header if you've got one) that you can screw a fitting into. Then just run a rubber hose to the fitting. You can buy the kits at pretty much any race shop online.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=13023

I understand the desire to clean up under the hood. But I'd leave both of these things. Obviously you live in a state without emission testing or a real smog problem, but keep in mind that an open gas tank spews hydrocarbons into the air as the car simply sits there. A car without a working carbon canister puts out almost as much smog forming compounds as a well running car cruising down the road.

Of all the pollution control devices, these two greatly reduce emissions with absolutely NO detriment to performance.

Finally, also if you like going into your garage and NOT smelling gas keep the canister.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

The PCV system also puts negative pressure on the under side of the rings and helps them to seal. The charcoal canister is also a vapor return system as eluded to earlier. I am thinking od ADDING a charcoal canister/vapor return to my 63 Dart, simply because it will return vapors to the fuel tank where they will condense back into liquid gas instead of floating away into the atmosphere.

Well, I see a lot of good reasons to keep the canister. So, some questions pertaining to that.
Is the canister "position dependant"? Does it have to be in an upright position to function? Does it ever reach a "saturation level" and quit functioning? The open bottom breather area is totally crusty. Is there a way to replace the "guts" of a charcoal canister?

There should be a flat disk filter that goes into the bottom of the canister. About $2.

Well, I see a lot of good reasons to keep the canister. So, some questions pertaining to that.
Is the canister "position dependant"? Does it have to be in an upright position to function? Does it ever reach a "saturation level" and quit functioning? The open bottom breather area is totally crusty. Is there a way to replace the "guts" of a charcoal canister?

I think they do need to be "upright" to work properly, although I am not 100% certain. Yes, the charcoal packet can get saturated over time. As mentioned, there are replacements available.

I pretty much did the same thing. I removed the charcoal canister and put a small filter there. I have since plugged the vapor line from the gas tank but am looking into a breather of sorts for it. The line from the charcoal canister to the air cleaner I cut and am still working on getting it patched up. Everything runs just fine and I havent noticed any adverse effects from doing any of this. I have not touched the pcv at all.

Without getting into the argument of whether you SHOULD remove the canister, the correct way to do it would be to install a vented filler tube from a 70 and down A body. then you could block off the second line at the tank (or even install a pre 72 unvented tank) and just run with the system that worked from the 60's to the 70's. I'm looking at the same issue on MY 72 right now. The tank is leaking badly and I have a good 68 tank in the shop.

-
Back